"Windows Delayed Write Failed "?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 20Valve, Dec 10, 2003.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

My system was running fine and I was piddling for the sake of piddling. Anyway, I changed the System Cache from "Program" to "System." Well, when I rebooted my computer went wonky. I keep getting "Write Delayed Failed" messages on the task bar at the lower right. Additional error screens pop up in the middle of the screen. Some of the messages say that files "failed to write" or somehing like that. Also, some internet pages will not load. Also, it seems that I cannot change the the cache setting bacto to "Program" form "System." It will reboot and still be set to "System." Oh yeah - the XP wants to check drives every tiem I reboot.

What is the difference between the two cache settings? Can I fix it? Or so I need a new install?

I am running the following:

Win XP Home
    512 Megs o' Ram
    ATI 9600 Pro
    Sound Blaster PCI
    MS Ethernet Card

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Kodo - That just happens to be one of the pages I cannot open!

Any other links?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

cutnpaste

When you perform any file management activity on Windows XP, you receive a Delayed Write Failed error messages.

If any of the following conditions exist, you might encounter the error:

- The Enable write caching on the disk feature for your disk is turned on.

- The Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller is using a 40-wire connection.

- The BIOS settings are configured to force faster UDMA modes.

To resolve this issue:

- Make sure you are using a 80-wire, 40-pin cable.

- Turn off the the force faster UDMA modes setting in your computer's BIOS.

If the above fails to correct the problem:

- Turn off Enable write caching on the disk:

1. Use My Computer or Windows Explorer to right-click your disk and press Properties.

2. Select the Hardware tab.

3. Select the disk and press the Properties button.

4. Select the Policies tab.

5. Clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box.

6. Press OK and OK.

7. Repeat steps 3 through 6 for each disk.

5. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

robo -

that is the message that I get. I just RMA'd an ECS L7S7A2 mb. Not another one. . . .

They are going to think I am up to something when if fact I just have bad luck.

I will give it the sophmore try though

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Almost forgot about that thread, robo.. :eek:

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

so it definately has something to do with the via IDE drivers then eh?

8. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I just reinstalled XP last night. So far so good. However, I am not going to install the MB drivers. It worked fine that last time without them. I then installed them and I then had to disable them in the startup menu as they were causing trouble.

I will see how it goes installing the Service Packs.

I will follow up this weekend with the results.

9. flygti

flygti Private E-2

Hey Kodo.
    Im getting the delayed write failed message also. I unchecked the write caching and both drives but they just greyed out and stayed checked when i looked again. Now I cant uncheck them.. This computer is just trying to beat me everyday with something else... Please help me cause its kinda winning...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds