100% CPU usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by prh44, Jan 25, 2015.

1. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

I am having issues with high CPU usage. Streaming video on you tube seems to bring about the usage issue. I have gone through the Read Me First and posted in the Mal-ware forum
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=290468
    It was recommended I post here.
    The issues seems to coincide with the installation of "PDF Creator update"
    Now "PDFforge"
    I was getting and OLE error so I uninstalled "PDFforge"
    I later did a system restore to the date prier to the update.

Attached Files:

2. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

Computer specs
    HP Elitebook 8440w
    CPU- Intel Core I5 M560 2.67GHz
    Ram- 8GB
    Windows 7 Pro service pack 1

During CPU high usage memory is at about 50%
    I use CCcleaner for clean up.
    I have configured a selective startup in MSconfig, reducing startup processes to essential only(BEST I CAN TELL).
    I have tried turning off all non Microsoft services also.
    I can run at low usage for a long period running Autocad, outlook, excel and PDFcreator. But when I try and stream videos even with no other apps running the usage eventually goes up dragging down everything. Closing IE or chrome usually does not stop the usage, forcing a reboot.
    I noticed during the heavy usage, I will shutdown IE or Chrome and the usage continues. Looking at task manager I do not see the process that is keeping it high.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The CPU usage from the 6 processes adds up to 78%. But at the bottom of the window it shows 100%. You need to click on 'Show processes from all users', take another snapshot and upload it. Before you do, maximize Task Manager and resize the columns. There might be some unwanted junk running.

BTW I have been using PDFCreator since 2006 and last month installed the latest version. I have never had a problem.

4. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

It took two screen shots to get all 110 plus process. System is normal at the moment

Attached Files:

5. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

This is the start up

Attached Files:

6. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

Here is a screen shot

Attached Files:

7. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

Sorry hopefully this is better

Attached Files:

8. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

prh44...

One place you might start is with the Java Update Scheduler. Try disabling it and see if the problem is resolved. I seem to recall problems like this from Java in the past...

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

10. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

Thank you JoeRay12,Atlbo,Pldr. I will disable the mentioned items and see what happens.

11. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

I thought that might do the trick but I am still having issues :(

12. cosman25

cosman25 Private E-2

Does it really only start when streaming Youtube videos? If so you may need to update or re install Flash Player.

What is your primary webbrowser? IE, Chrome, Firefox.......

13. prh44

prh44 Private E-2

Best I can tell that's when it happens. I use IE for the most part but have currently started using Chrome. It seems to happen with both. I will run the scan Joeray12 suggested then I will update flash.

Thank you

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

In msconfig, have you tried diagnostic mode and then try playing a video? Or, under ccleaner, just disable everything?

Also, I believe chrome defaults to html5 for videos on youtube.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds