transfer game files

Discussion in 'Software' started by squeek, Jan 27, 2015.

1. squeek

squeek Private E-2

How to transfer games from laptop win7 to desktop computer 8.1 so I don't have to buy a whole new pkg.

help ...I know this isn't easy especially for a newbie like me... rolleyes

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know that it will work for what you want to do but, you could try Windows Easy Transfer. In the latest iteration, you're supposed to be able to transfer individual files. However, I don't know if there are Registry Keys that were installed along with the games in Win 7.

My Win 8.1 Pro didn't come with any games. There isn't even a games folder. rolleyes

3. squeek

squeek Private E-2

that's what I found out today..... my husband wants GAMES!!!:cry

I know they will have to all come through in a bundle.... I'm okay with that...we only play 3 though....

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

What games?
    Many games can be transferred just by copying the folder over and "run as admin" when you start them. You can also look online for repair tools once copied.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

No need to transfer the games that were in XP - Freecell, Solitaire etc - go to the store and search for them. They are in the Solitaire collection in Xbox games but will run in 8.1

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The question is, do you, now, have to pay for them? They were included as part of the OS install in XP, Vista and 7.

7. Earthling

Some games are free, including the popular Freecell. Why not take a look?

I haven't tried this on 8.1 but it used to be possible to just copy games program files from XP. I do remember doing this successfully from XP to Win 7. I've not tried it in 8.1 or from Win 7 though, which the OP was using. Worth a try I would think, as DOA suggested.

8. squeek

squeek Private E-2

I tried this and yes, they are free but have to put a password with them... so now I'm password protected.

they look very different but interesting...

9. Earthling

If you want to install apps from the Store you have to be logged in with a Microsoft account and that requires a password. Next time you boot you will have to provide that password so take good care of it.

If you want to revert to using a local account just say so and I or someone will advise.

10. squeek

squeek Private E-2

i would be interested in knowing how to transfer my games from wind 7 to my win 8.1 if that is possible... :)

11. Earthling

I'm about to go in for a knee operation and that's going to lay me up for a few weeks so I expect to have time on my hands in a day or two and I'll look into that. I thought the Solitaire games from the store, which I hadn't looked at prior your post, were quite good but it sounds like you prefer the older versions. Are there any particular games you want?

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

13. squeek

squeek Private E-2

kinda like the simple format of the old games:
    we like spider, free cell, and manjah [sp?]

14. squeek

squeek Private E-2

thanks... when I get some time I'll see what I can do so we can have some options...

15. plodr

16. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

No one is playing Klotski?
    I lost the link for the free download :(

17. plodr

18. squeek

squeek Private E-2

19. squeek

squeek Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds