Malware Attack

Discussion in 'Software' started by TammyRDH, Jan 30, 2015.

1. TammyRDH

TammyRDH Private E-2

I have been in the Malware Forum and after some help there, I was redirected here. I was hit with a malware attack while in IE. The expert in Malware had me operate Hitman Pro and then reset IE. I still don't have my Windows Tiles "Charms" for Desktop or charms for any of my programs. Shall I upload my logs again here or you see them from the Malware Forums post?

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

TammyRDH...

Posting a link to your thread for access to the logs for anyone else that comes along. Hitman Pro log looks like the main one:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1902295#post1902295

I think you are in for a system refresh, but I am not sure.

One thing you can try is to run an sfc /scannow if you can get to the command prompt. You will need to be able to open an administrator command prompt to do so. Not sure about where the command prompt is in Win 8.x, but you could start in C:/Windows/system32. Look for cmd.exe. If you find it, right click on it and run as administrator (if possible in Windows 8). Then type in sfc /scannow (space after sfc) and press enter.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

You'd enter cmd in the search box and right click on it in the results pane and choose Run as Administrator. Sfc /scannow generally requires an install CD/DVD.

4. TammyRDH

TammyRDH Private E-2

5. TammyRDH

TammyRDH Private E-2

I am running sfc /scannow. I used the windows key + "X" to open the command prompt. What shall I do with the results?

6. TammyRDH

TammyRDH Private E-2

BTW, I restored to an earlier save point than when the troubles began. Although I can now see my tiles, I'm still getting pop ups. So I'm sure trouble is lurking. I'll see what the scannow shows and report back.

7. TammyRDH

TammyRDH Private E-2

scan now came back clean. "Windows Resource Protection didn not find any integrity violations"

8. TammyRDH

TammyRDH Private E-2

Since I restored to an earlier time, MGtools wasn't there anymore (although the logs were still there). So I couldn't do the MGclean.bat as directed. I tried to do Housekeeping following the instructions on MajorGeeks. I opened msconfig and tried to select Normal Startup. It rebooted to safe mode without networking (even though networking is checked). The only thing that opens the computer is in the msconfig General tab: Selective Startup with the first two boxes checked. (Load system services and Load startup items.)

How can I find and get rid of the malware that is corrupting my system? And how do get back to a normal startup in system configuration.

9. TammyRDH

TammyRDH Private E-2

Yes, you are correct that I didn't follow the step exactly. I was afraid I would get scolded for that. :-o. It wasn't deliberate. I thought I was finished when the malware expert advised me that he had done all he could do and to head over to the software forum. I got amped when I saw the post to refresh. Only after I reverted, I saw the "final steps" posted. Yikes. So back to the beginning....Next time I will get to the end correctly. Thank you for your advice.

10. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Good catch JoeRay12. :wine

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds