SAS Incompatible

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nick T, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey guys and gals, quick question. Upon installing Bitdefender Free it says to remove incompatible programs and it listed Superantispyware Free. Why ? SAS Free has no realtime scan and it doesn't contain an antivirus. Is it safe to install SAS after BD is installed and running? I'm just confused because it's an antispyware and it's listed as compatible with antivirus software. Thanks.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hey NickT (Claw)...

This takes me back so many years to when so many of the security softwares were flagging each other as malware. Here is a thread about this at the BitDefender site:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/lofiversion/index.php/t40871.html

I think this is a little bit of a leftover from the a-v wars I mention, and likely it's safe to run SAS as a on demand scanner. I should think then that it would be safe to install the program, but might want to watch out for some response from BitDefender to see if it tries to quarantine anything. Can you take a quick image of the system before installing SAS? That might be a good idea...

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Thanks AtlBo (FS), I installed SAS then scanned and it found tracking cookies, then I scanned with Malwarebytes and it got 2 trojans, so I uninstalled SAS. It doesn't seem worth the trouble. Thanks buddy.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

That sounds about like usual with SAS. I hope they come up with some sort of breakthrough with that software at some point, because it has been many years since SAS was an important malware removal tool on any level. The software is well written and the settings are sensible enough, but it doesn't offer alot of help with its scans.

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

There was a time that even Malware forums used SAS as a removal tool but they just let the product slip through the cracks. I know it still catches its share of infections but the misses outweigh the hits.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

At first I was like wow a SAS issue, I could help, then realized it was about SuperAntiSpyware, and not Serial Attached SCSI. :-o

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

When there is a conflict between antivirus software and some other active security software, the
    first thing I try is to put the installation folder of the conflicting software on the antivirus whitelist.

Sometimes, if both programs have a whitelist, you can exclude them both from scanning each other.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds