Constant Loop of "Windows Explorer has stopped working"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-15281db623, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

I was surfing the net like I normally do this morning and I received a prompt that said "Windows Explorer has stopped working". There is a progress bar and it says "Windows is checking for a solution to this problem" below that. After a few seconds that box goes away, and I get another one that says "Windows explorer is restarting". Now, this doesn't just happen once. Its on a loop, and I can't do anything else on my computer. If I hit cancel, on one of the boxes, the other one appears and it starts where it left off. Every once in a while, like about every 100 boxes or so, I'll get a prompt asking me if I want to send more information about the problem to microsoft. If I click send information, or cancel, the loop starts again. If I do nothing, that box remains there, and I can not access anything else on my computer.

When I restart in safe mode, the same thing happens except there are no boxes. Windows explorer just restarts every 2-3 seconds and I can't even get the start menu open before it closes on me again.

I tried doing a system restore through my install cd, but that did not help the problem. I also had a BSOD once or twice when trying to open something while the errors messages were coming up.

Any idea as to what is causing this? Or how to fix it? I'm on Windows Vista Home Premium.

CD2 4300
    2GB Ram
    7900GT
    Plenty of hard drive space
    Adware, spyware, virus scans weekly

Thanks in advance.

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Post your BSOD.To do this uncheck automaticaly restart inMy comp>right click properties>advanced>startup and recovery.

3. Anon-15281db623

The constant string of error boxes prevent me from opening my computer. I'm lucky if I can get the start menu to open up before the error box appears and explorer restarts again, thus closing anything that was open.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

When it offers to send to M$ it also offers information about what is to be sent. Save these files as they often identify the culprit.

Secondly can you not either regain control or see what is happening with Task Manager?

type taskmgr into the search box

5. Anon-15281db623

There was three files listed the last time it popped up. However, I can't access them to figure out what they were because the looping error boxes prevent me from doing anything. The computers attention is on the error boxes, and I can click on them, and only them. When they are there, I can't click on anything else. I tried opening the start menu to get to my computer so I can get to files on my hard drive, but the length of time between the error boxes isn't enough (2-5 seconds at most). So once the error box pops up again, all explorer windows close, the screen flashes, and my desktop is returned to normal. Then the whole process starts again.

I can get to the task manager by ctrl-alt-delete, however, i can not click on anything because the error boxes are there, and the focus of the computer is on those error boxes, preventing me from doing anything else until they are gone.

Thanks for your help though. If I can at least find a way to gain access to my pictures and music so I can move them to another drive, I'll just format and install. I have backups, but they're two months old, and I've added a lot of data since then. I really don't want to lose it.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You can move your stuff using safe mode with command prompt. That does not use explorer.
    It's clumsy I know, but it works.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've had bad gadgets crash explorer on me.

Does it happen in Safe Mode?

Edit: Oops, missed what you said on that.

Are you able to use msconfig at all? I've an idea if yes.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You can also run the system file checker from a command prompt in safe mode. This has slightly different syntax in Vista.

sfc /verifyonly..................check but don't fix all protected files

sfc /verifyfile=(insert full path to file).......single file

sfc /scanfile=(insert full path to file)........fix single file

sfc /scannow ..........fix all protected files

9. Anon-15281db623

It wouldn't allow me to bring up msconfig, and I can't open the command prompt in safe mode nor the regular desktop. I was, however, able to pull the files I needed off the drive through my network. I was still getting the errors on the desktop, but thankfully I had those folders shared on the network. I formatted the drive and reinstalled last night.

Thanks for the help everyone. It was about time for a reinstall anyways, and as long as I salvaged the important stuff, I'm ok with the turn out.

Thanks again!

-cooked

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I'm glad you got it sorted, a second pc is an invaluable service tool.

However I think you misunderstood my suggestions so for future reference:-

You don't boot to safe mode and then issue the cmd command.

If you look down the list of possibilities at the boot options (F8) screen you will see one called
    'safe mode with command prompt'

This is the one that used to be called MSDOS prompt a long time ago and is specifically for these situations.
    When you use it the system does not enter a graphical interface (explorer) it boots directly to a c:> prompt.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There are still gui elements--just not explorer.exe as a shell.

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I think that's just nit picking - you communicate with windows via a command line. Yes you can call certain graphic processes, but unfortunately not msconfig.

I think an important message is that SFC is capable of protecting more than just the core system files ( the default) but the user has to add these manually. These days with plenty of hard drive real estate and processor power available it makes sense to do this for all drivers. SFC has expanded capabilities in Vista, some of which I listed below.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Im sorry if you feel that me adding a slight tidbit of info (after all gui items are accessed via cmd shell in safe mode w/ command prompt, to say there is no gui is misleading) is nit picking.

rolleyes

14. Anon-15281db623

I knew what you meant. I booted into safe mode with with the command prompt, however I could not do anything with it. The entire desktop was resetting its self every two seconds and I had no control at all. I was able to boot into safe mode with networking support and pull my files off that way though my laptop. Thankfully! :D

Thanks for the help everyone!

15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Thanks for the clarification, Overcooked. It's really useful to know what happened, especially as it wasn't what I expected. Studying the details that are available may help others in the future, and even you preventing a recurrence.
    Had you installed anything new, hardware or software or update wise just before ?

Addy, we often present a simplified model to concentrate on one particular aspect.
    The object was to regain control via the command line interpreter and remain with it. Now we know that didn't work.

I hope useful experience for all will come out of this.

16. Anon-15281db623

I didn't add anything new, however, I was having problems with my App launcher gadget in my sidebar. It was working fine for a while, but after a few months it began to lock up when I would add a new shortcut. I would have to perform a system restore to fix the problem. I'm thinking that the gadget could have been the root of the crashes, especially since Adrynalyne reported having problems with gadgets crashing explorer. That doesn't explain why safe mode would be like that though. confused

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ack, don't tell me that :(

Thats single handedly the most useful gadget out there.

18. Anon-15281db623

I know, i loved it! But I think I might have overloaded it with 20+ shortcuts. :D Maybe I'll split them between the app and quick launch bar. Hopefully I won't have any problems. :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds