The "I don't miss LauraR" Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Jul 2, 2012.

1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Wonder how she is enjoying Alaska?

:p

2. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

I second that.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

roflmao

Gee BOOM... This is the sweetest thread ever! You sure know how to charm a girl. :-D

I'm sitting in the Vancouver airport waiting for our plane to board. this airport actually has free wireless.

The trip was great. I've never seen land and scenery like that. It was pretty amazing.

4. Mankind

Mankind Just call me MK - RIP 2014

Laura you ain`t seen nothing yet,well maybe a little but it goes thru quite a change from where you are to you destination,I`ve been told.I have a friend who lives in Anchorage and she flew up and thats more or less how she explained it to me last summer when she was diwn visiting.

5. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Welcome back Laura! ;) Tell us all about it!

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

We need pics also ;)

@MK good to see you pal :)

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

I second the request for pics. :p

8. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

LoL!, yeah some photos would be nice, (yep, I'm sure they are coming).;) Glad that you had a great trip trip, Laura, I knew you would. We behaved ourselves, honest.:p

9. LauraR

Hey all.:)

I took about 1200 photos, so you have no idea what you are asking. *evil laugh*

I don't typically show photos until they are processed, but I have done some (extremely) preliminary processing, so here's a few.

The trip was pretty unbelievable. What an amazing place. It's so wild and relatively untouched. The whales were abundant (even though I don't really have any decent pics to show for them), the bald Eagles were as numerous as seagulls (I'm assuming there are those that know what I"m talking about. lol), and the land is gorgeous.

Other than that, it sucked. :-D

kidding...The cruise was great. Between the site seeing, we did a bunch of relaxing.

Oh! One thing I can now say I did was snorkel in the waters of Alaska. Sorry, no pics for that one!

Here's a link to a few of my photos: http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/laurar67/Alaska/

The folder should be public. I'll only be leaving it that way for a bit.

10. Spock96

Wow Laura,
    Those pictures are AWESOME. I mean like postcard quality. Haha
    Glad you enjoyed yourself :).

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Wow, great photos Laura! Looks like you had a good time.

OT Friend of mine just got a Hasselblad camera with digital back. 39mpx! 12 (I think) Fstop for correcting photos... 1.something Gig per photo file size... :drool I want, but cannot afford one.

12. Spock96

agreed.

13. BoredOutOfMyMind

Wow, this looks like a painting.

[​IMG]

14. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Really great photos there, Laura :).
    ...We need more!...:yum:-D
    Makes me remember the fact that I haven't had a real vacation for many, many years. I need to literally get out more :(.

{B.T.W.:- What are those multi-colored Smurfs, standing in the woods?}roflmao

15. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Well LauraR, that looked like one of those holidays of a lifetime. :) Absolutely amazing, and thanks for adding your lovely pictures. Damn... you take a hell 'uv a piccy, gal.

16. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I do not see the loch ness monster in the picture :-D

:neener

Nice pic.

17. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Beautiful scenery captured well.:major

I'm envious of the trip and your skills LauraR.

18. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Beautiful captures, Laura. Hope to see some more. :)
    Cheers..

19. LauraR

Thanks Fred.

Wow. A Hasselblad? Guy hit the lotto or something? I can't even imagine spending 13K+ on a camera. He better have more money than he knows what to do with or be a really really good photographer. :-D

That's actually an HDR photo. (and looking at it all blown up is why I don't generally post pics before I fully processing them. Ick, that needs work...LOL). Anyway, I use HDR software for some of my shots. This one was made from 3 different exposures. I thought the subject sort of lent itself to the more surreal look of HDR tonemapping.

LOL...that would be my smurf family. That's everyone who went on our trip. I thought it was funny, so included it.

Ha! I do have pics that look like the Loch Ness, believe me. lol..those whales are hard to get.

Thanks gloozit.:) Yeah, they'll be trickling on there. I put the one up. I'm much more picky about what I put up there so it'll be a slow trickle.

Thanks everyone.:)

One thing I learned...if I ever go on another trip like that, I will be renting at least a 600mm lens. 300 just doesn't cut it for wildlife.

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"Wow. A Hasselblad? Guy hit the lotto or something? I can't even imagine spending 13K+ on a camera. He better have more money than he knows what to do with or be a really really good photographer"

Not the lottery, but he ain't hurting for cash. He has 2 or 3 Hasselblad systems for film, and got this one to 'play' with. I was really amazed at the quality of the pictures. Maybe I can talk him into letting me borrow it sometime. Need photos of my 'new' gun. :-D

21. BoredOutOfMyMind

Feel free to edit my post if you change the photo....

22. HellHoundian

HellHoundian Private E-2

look like a cool boat building operation going on there .

Try digging a swimming pool 40 feet long 20 feet wide and about 6 feet down.HEHE fun fun fun

23. oma

oma MajorGeek

Beautiful pics Laura, quite an expert! Glad you had such a great time. :)

24. LauraR

No worries, BOOM. When I work on it, maybe I will change it out.:)

Thanks, oma. It really was quite awesome.

25. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Great photos.

I really like that golden sunset.
    Also noticed the shot of the killer whale.

26. jimi

jimi Private E-2

repairs only in a setup like that.

Nice pic's, glad you enjoyed yourself. snorkeling in the AK waters huh, well i'm sure a couple of pointed remarks were made after that experience:drool:-D

27. LauraR

Thanks guys!

28. LauraR

3 of them? Jeez.

Well, try to borrow one. I'd love to try one out. Although for the price, it should make everyone's photos look like a professional's

This is kind of funny:

[​IMG]

lmao...$699 a month?? For camera?

29. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yep, way out of my price range. He bought his off EBay for a little under $7k. His other 'Blads are the film type. I used to shoot a lot with them. Sweet camera. Just pricey.

I use to love the medium format stuff. Old Rollieflex TLR was a fun one also.

30. LauraR

They really are quite strange looking too....very retro.

My dream is getting a full frame Nikon. Even that is out of my price range. :-D

31. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Is 39 megapixles, you know you want one. :-D

32. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Don't you love the way they like to use the word "Only" when stating the price. :confused

Even if it's "ONLY" $38,000.00 :eek LOL

33. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

But wait! There is more! For only $19.99! :-D

34. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

And, if you call within the next 15 minutes, we'll include a Second amazing widget, [size=+1]Absolutely Free!!![/size]. :zzz

[size=+2]Don't forget to ask about FREE SHIPPING!!![/size] :-D

[size=-1]** operators are standing by now to take your call **[/size]

well, give me a break, it's Late. ;)

35. BoredOutOfMyMind

Interesting observation- this thread, which hijacked Laura's Alaska Thread (not meant to), has now itself been threadjacked.

36. LauraR

haha! I haven't seen one of those commercials for a long time.LOL

lmao... Is it possible to hijack a thread with another thread? Philosophical question of the day. :-D

37. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"lmao... Is it possible to hijack a thread with another thread? Philosophical question of the day."

Proper threadjacking is an art. :cool

38. BoredOutOfMyMind

I prefer green grapes over Black grapes.

:-D

39. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Some people have the gift, some, well, not so much. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds