Unplugging HD Cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radiot, Jul 23, 2007.

1. radiot

radiot Private First Class

Howdy folks,

I run two drives off my mobo, one sata (1), one IDE (0). The bios won't allow me to set SATA to 0. (How come?) Therefore, I am plugging and unplugging HD's to boot to various OS's.. I am wondering if I could unplug only the power cable to the IDE drive, leaving the data cable attached, since it is the fragile cable. Will this damage anything?

Thanks

2. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

No, it shouldn't damage anything with the system. Unplugging either cable should achieve the same result.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You could just add some lines to your boot.ini, unless one of the OS is Vista. Then it is a trifle more complicated.

4. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

In BIOS, sometimes you have to choose SCSI to boot into your SATA drive. Try different settings like that. It doesn't hurt. Also make sure your BIOS is up to date with the current version. Also, what MOBO do you have?

5. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Since you're swapping drive cable anyhow, you could get a removable hard drive bay with two cartridges. This would simplify the process enormously.

Of course, this would eliminate one or the other interfaces, so the hard drive might also need to be changed. So far I've avoided SATA.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds