Internet shows pages as 'Done' or 'Stopped' when pages arent loaded..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jambone, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Jambone

Jambone Private E-2

Hi all,

I seem to be having this weird issue whereby after an extended period of browsing in Firefox/Opera/IE, when opening a page the following will happen:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the tab shows the page as still trying to load, yet in the status bar at the bottom, it shows the page as 'Done' or sometimes even 'Stopped'.

This immobilises my internet use and eventually all browsers will do the same, also it's worth noting that once this happens, firefox.exe becomes impossible to close (even via Task Manager > End Process).
    Although programs such as uTorrent and Thunderbird still work.

This happens on two computers (one PC - x64, one laptop - x86) on the same network (both running vista and ZoneAlarm Pro), yet a third one running XP and ZoneAlarm Free and a fourth running Vista x64 and Comodo have so far never had this issue.

The weird thing is that the laptop used to be fine until we upgraded our broadband to 10mb.

My main thoughts are:
    - Java, although I doubt it, I've done enough reinstalls to ensure it wasnt this.

- Modem, the modem we have is very old (motorola surfboard) and I'm unsure whether it's causing the issue (DNS cutout). Yet surely the other pc's would be affected?

- ZoneAlarm Pro, this seems like a very viable option, however so many people use this with no issues whatsoever, can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks all for the help!
    James :)

PS: I have run countless adware/spyware/virus scans ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Weirest part is this is happening to two PCs, and likelyhood of being same issue with the OS is remote as two differing versions of the OS in x64 and x86 are in use, plus why only after extended periods of internet use.

But my thoughts are

Well while you have uninstalled and re-installed likely the latest version did you also remove all components of older versions of Java as they are not rollup/update packages, each one installs a fresh version of Java, so some PCs coudl well have 3 or more versions installed at once, which one of "may" cause a conflict.

So run this JavaRA and allow it to uninstall all older versions, it also gets to the left over dlls and files that the offical uninstaller misses.

True, but also wondering if you have updated your package to a new speed, could be possible you need to reset the model and or router and re-enter the connection details or check with ISP that you dont have to change any settings. The ISP should also be able to test your connection, give them a call when this happens, so they can test it when its not working.

While this app works for some it also doesnt for others and sometimes on some PC setups it just doesnt play ball, try disabling it and see if this helps, if it does then an alternative good free one is PCtools

Also run CCLeaner and clean up yoru temps and cookies, plus weird thought is delete your DNS Resolver Cache thats local on PC, from a CMD prompt (and if Vista you need to do this from elevated prompt, so right click CMD and choose Run as Administrator) then type ipconfig /flushdns

Your not hammering uTorrent and up/down many GBs of torrents are you as at times many ISPs do packetshape and limit users general surfing as its part of the Fair Usage part of the contract.

3. Jambone

Jambone Private E-2

Thanks for the help Halo, apologies but I meant Flash not Java - I know you must think I'm a right idiot.

Nonetheless, I will attempt a DNS flush next time it happens (I think I might have tried it once already - not sure) and will experiment with ZoneAlarm to see what results I get back, and will keep you updated.

Thanks again for the response.

4. Jambone

Jambone Private E-2

Update for you:

Issue still occuring, tried all things suggested here. I dont know whether I mentioned, once the connection goes on one PC, the other is still fine

Cheers
    James

5. Jambone

Jambone Private E-2

Finally the issue appears to be fixed, a complete uninstall of ZA was necessary - now running Comodo :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds