Vista BSOD issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by wills1988, May 12, 2009.

1. wills1988

wills1988 Private E-2

Firstly many thanks for looking at this, real PAIN issue!! If you need any mroe info please ask!

OK, so some basics to start:

My PC:

Asus PC5KC Mobo
    4GB Corsair DDR 800mhz PC26400 XMS2 Memory
    Antec 500w PSU
    8800GTS 512mb
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Windows Vista 32bit Ultimate (SP1)

A few months ago I was experiancing a few blue screens every so often, I cant remember exactly what they were but I flashed my BIOS to the latest version and it fixed my issues. This was about 1 month ago, so I'm not sure if this is related.

So, the problem:

I was last using my PC on Sunday night, was working fine watching a film on it (one that i've seen before, so I dont expect foul play from it) - shut it down as usual, no problem.

Thankfully I had Monday off work, so I was quite looking forward to getting on it and having a nice relaxing day infront of it. I turn it on as usual, and I received a series of blue screens, I didnt get the change to write these down but from memory they included an error about a ntfs.sys file, one about bootmgr and a kernal issue. Always mentioning that the file was either missing or corrupt. Tried rebooting several times but gave up.

Tried again a few hours later and WOW, it booted up fine? Got into windows and thought hmm, OK, nevermind. Played abit of Football Manager and opened up quite a few apps and Firefox windows, started to browse Youtube and it crashed on me. Not sure again on the BSOD, but I'm pretty sure it was the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod. Tried again to turn my machine on but no luck. Went out, came back a few hours later and it worked AGAIN. This time, I had an alert about new hardware. It turns out the drivers for my GFX card were corrupt from looking in device manager so I re-downloaded the latest drivers, when I rebooted. Same problem again.

Once again, after an hour or two I was able to attempt to re-install Vista, found my CD and loaded it in.

So I try and re-install vista on my hardrive. Doesnt even get that far. Loads up the "Windows is loading files..."

Receive a windows boot manager error:

Windows Failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause (etc).

FILE: \windows\system32\config\system

INFO: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

At this point I was wondering if my hardrive was the problem, so I managed to find my spare HD (very recent, unused) and plugged that in. Whenever I attempt to install windows on that:

Windows Failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause (etc)

FILE: \windows\system32\drivers\volmgrx.sys

Eventually I managed to load up from my old hardrive, and my previously planned check disk started to run:

Got to stage 4 and crashed.....

BSOD Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000008e (0xc0000005, 0x81c892cc, 0x8bef79a0, 0x00000000)

No more information on this one.

As a last resort, I've tried to reflash my BIOS, this went through fine. But upon booting to windows (from my old HD), I received another BSOD:

This time,

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A (0xcc598147, 0x0000001B, 0x00000001, 0x81d05214)

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to think of myself as pretty technical but BSOD's are not something that I have any experiance of! Many Thanks in advance for any ideas!

(Oh and 1 other thing, I have already switched my RAM as part of my original problem stated above - Can always try it again)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds