Buying a new printer, need advice!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bjgarrick, Dec 31, 2005.

1. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Im buying a new printer, I want another laser so I want some opinions.

The below printers are the ones I am choosing from...

Lexmark E240 28S0200 Up to 26 ppm - B/W - A4 (8.25 in x 11.7 in) Up to 27 ppm - B/W - Letter A Size (8.5 in x 11 in) Laser Workgroup Monochrome Printer - Retail
    $146.99

HP LaserJet 1022 Q5912A 19 ppm Laser Personal Monochrome Printer - Retail
    $175.00

HP LaserJet 1020 Q5911A 15 ppm Laser Personal Monochrome Printer - Retail
    $113.99

If anyone has any suggestions, I would mind hearing them. I think I'm leaning more towards the Lexmark, is this a good printer based on specs?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

on reading the specs and the price difference between the 3 then personally BJ I would go with the Lexmark too.

we have a few HP lasers in my office and I'm not too fussed on them....

3. bjgarrick

I was hoping someone would agree, thanks Dave. This price kind of shocked me and with a free DVD player I was like..nice!

I will go on and order this one..:)

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

One quick thing to check is the price of toner cartridges. (if it's not too late)

Lexmark are renowed for cheap units, and very high running costs.

Don't know if it's relevant for this particular model, but it's something to check.

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I would go with Lexmark also, I have a Z53 that has lasted for years with no problems. The cartridges for mine are reasonable and you can find them anywhere.

If you get it BJ let us know how you like it, might be time for an upgrade. ;)

Steve

6. bjgarrick

This is for the Lexmark, havn't a clue which one is the best.

What's the difference?

Cartridges Compatible:
    24015SA /24035SA /12A8302

E240E34X RET PRG TONERCART - 24015SA
    $71.99

E240E34X TONERCART - 24035SA
    $95.99

E232/E330/E332PHOTOCONDUCTOR - 12A8302
    $60.99

7. bjgarrick

Will do Steve, I have installed many of these at the hospitals here and they all love them. The only thing is the carts. I mean which would I get if there is 3 compatible carts?

8. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

You might want to get a canon printer because there cheaper to buy plus their ink cartridges are cheaper, I should know because i have a i550 that i've had for about 3 years with no problems with it at all.

9. Insomniac

You are talking inkjet, bj stated he wants a laser.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I don't know the difference, looks like they are all black. :confused:

Steve

11. Insomniac

There is a fair difference in price, although they are all very reasonable.

They probably differ in how many pages they are rated at before they require replacement.

BJ, have you got the links for the cartridges?

12. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I been looking, can't really find anything about them you can compare or that specifies the difference.

Might be best to check on them at the store before you order BJ. At least you might could tell which you prefer. I bet Insomniac is right, probably has something to do with the pages rated.

Steve

13. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

I have had nothing but good experiences with any of the HP laster jet monochrome printers. If your going color they have competition. But for B & W HP is a good workhorse from my personal experience both at work and home. Cartridges cost almost as much as the printer does though.

.... I guess we can't have everything.

14. bjgarrick

15. bjgarrick

I think you are right, the $95 one probably prints more than the $71 one. That's the difference in price. The last one is the Photoconductor Kit, which I havn't a clue about. LOL!

16. Insomniac

Yeah, it's all Greek to me too. ;)

Good price for the unit and cartridges, and considering you get a free DVD player, it sounds pretty convincing.

I can't really see any major downside.

17. bjgarrick

I thought so too, what is the Photoconductor Kit?

18. Insomniac

I though it was just a fancy name for a cartridge, although I'd never heard of it till you mentioned and I did a quick Googly.

All the pages and images show it's just a cartridge in a box, and don't show anything extra or fancy, at least not in the pic?

It must have something extra though, as some are advertised as Photoconductor kit with cartridge.

19. bjgarrick

Ahh, I'll probably just stick with the $71 cart. The starter toner will most likely last me a year. I don't print very much so it should last a while.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds