Losing memory in internet explorer...

Discussion in 'Software' started by MommaNinnaB, Oct 15, 2009.

1. MommaNinnaB

MommaNinnaB Private E-2

My internet explorer has been acting up for at least a month now. Most of the problem is with losing memory. When I bring up my task manager and look at my running programs most are using a thousand and at the most 7 to 8 thousand. But my internet explorer is using up to 300,000! I just dont understand how to go about fixing it. I have tried looking it up but keep getting pretty much nowhere! Can anyone please help me!?!?
    Thank you.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which Windows version and IE version are you using?

Possibles are:

Malware so have you scanned your PC for malware?

Toolbars, so if you have any toolbars uninstall them to see if they are causing the problem.

Small bit of maintenence and run CCleaner and its Cleaner and registry tool, run the registry one until noting needs removing.

Out of date or corrupt browser add-ons like Adobe Flash, Shockwave and Java, so do update these to latest versions, Adobe Flash, Shockwave and Sun Java (but run this small freebee before isntalling Sun Java to remove all old parts of Java, JavaRA)

You can also to see if this changes the memory usage, run IE in its safe mode, just click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and run IE No Add-ons and see if that changes anything, if it does then an add on from a 3rd party is the cause, so to narrow that down start IE as normal then click Tools > Manage Add-ons and disable all non microsoft ones, then restrat IE and see if its ok, if it is enable one add-on at a time and restart IE and test until you find the culprit.

Last is to try another browser and see if the issue is with something else, Firefox or Opera are good.

3. MommaNinnaB

MommaNinnaB Private E-2

I am using IE8 but it was IE7 about a week and a half ago and I have been having the problem for months, so I am pretty sure that it isnt with which IE I am using. I am also on windows vista...I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If having same issue with IE7 and now IE8 its likely one of the other options I mentioned so do follow what I posted above and update those add-ons, run IE in no add-ons mode and if using toolbars uninstall them as a few are not IE8 compatible.

Plus run some antivirus scans, and MalwareBytes is a good one to run as initial check (once installed click update tab and update the application) also.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds