Windows Home Server-antivirus?

Discussion in 'Software' started by colorblind, May 4, 2010.

1. colorblind

colorblind Private E-2

Just purchased an Acer H340 on sale at Newegg for $299. So far I like it a lot; seems like the perfect backup solution. Does one need to run anti-virus software on a WHS? The program that came with it is expired. Any suggestions?

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Just don't try Avast unless you plan on keeping it forever. I read a lot of posts about how terrible the Avast for WHS uninstall is, but I figured they must of fixed it, right? Wrong, after the demo I tried to remove it - no dice. I tried every 3rd party av remover - nothing. I took the system down and deleted the program folder. Now I have a plugin icon on my server that I can't seem to remove, maybe I'll get into it later. I think I'm going back to the McAfee product that was installed.

FYI, the backup is very nice, the recovery takes some knowledge. I created a boot disk and recovered the drivers for my nic, that didn't work. Put the drive on another system and started a network recovery and 30% in it craps out, finally I hooked it into a system running Windows and ran the recovery from inside the OS (no boot disk) and it recovered the drive. So as for me the backup works and is good to have, but it took some work to figure out (& a call to HP)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Friend of mine Philip who is fellow Microsoft MVP but in WHS, had this posted on his blog a while back in a plugin for ClamWin, need to scroll down to around 5th Jan 2010 HERE and main project page is HERE both from Al West

*not used it, just I read his blog alot and remembered this plugin for ClamWin, just never gotten around to installing WHS on a spare PC yet, do have the software, lacking time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds