Laptop won't boot.. tried everything

Discussion in 'Software' started by Javaslinger, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Javaslinger

Javaslinger Private E-2

Ok I've tried everything I can think of anyway... I'm running XP Pro...

I have a compaq presario with a Turion 64 chip and 1+GB ram in a 1024 stick and a 256 stick.

The laptop is only about 5 months old and I've never had any problems until now.

I recently got a blue screen (which I didn't read the error code as I used to see these all time on my old computer and thought it no biggie) and had to reboot....

But it won't reboot. at all... Once it gets past the initial Compaq screen it just hangs at a black screen. I have to press the power button to shut down. I can hear the power supply fan but nothing else. The hard drive light flashes briefly at the beginning but never again.

I can get to bios.. I can get to the selection screen to attempt safe mode.. but in all cases it hangs at the next black screen. Safe mode gets through 3 commands before it freezes.

I tried repairing windows and it booted off the CD, loaded a bunch of drivers into memory, and said 'starting windows' and froze up.....

I took it to circuit city to get the data off it and they were able to slave it just fine. He said he could access all the data. The dude said he thought it was a Mobo issue, but was guessing. In any case he thought the hard drive appeared to be fine...

Now I've heard the when crashing or getting BSOD, the computer runs chkdsk and if you don't let it shut down properly it can sometime rename the windows folder and lead to these similar issues. Anyone heard of this? And if so, how might I get in there to rename the windows folder correctly??

Lastly, it is under warranty, but I'd prefer to not have to ship it off for weeks and secondly, I fear they'll just trash the HD or reformat it. I don't believe most repair places make much effort in fixing or diagnosing preferring to take the easy way out....

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

2. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

fdisk /mbr

might fix it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds