I have a curious reg entry named Redemption**

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Hey Geeks, I am running XP Home SP3.
    A few days ago I started getting something called Redemption** identified as Obsolete Software when running CCleaner. The file is identified as being in HKCU Software, but I also found it in HKLM Software. I've deleted it from the registry, but it keeps coming back? My system is running smooth, virus scans with multiple scanners turn up no viruses. I've attached a screen capture because the D entries look weird. Sometimes there are two registry entries, one with the two black spots, the other without. Any idea what this is and how to permanently delete it?

2. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

there isn't a screen shot attached

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

From what I have been able to determine, the entries have something to do with Outlook (2003 in particular).

If you use Outlook try and update it, I guess, and see if that takes care of the problem.

4. Anon-7f4ca145be

Sorry, screenshot attached now.

Attached Files:

5. Anon-7f4ca145be

I will look into Outlook. I've been using 2003 for years but this has never shown up before the past several weeks.

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Redemption is used by various Outlook add-ons, e.g. Cloudmark's spam filter system.

7. Anon-7f4ca145be

Then Spam Inspector is the culprit. But why do you think the registry entry and DWord entries are so weird with ASCII like characters? And if a valid add-on why is CCleaner identifying it as Obsolete Software, Spam Inspector has been around a long time?

8. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

maybe the entry is pointing no where and it is seen as obsolete? not needed since it doesn't seem to have a valid point? i have seen ccleaner do this many times and clean it and the entry reappears... the computer knows it's still needed but isn't totally removed due to the robustness of the OS... make sense? The computer rebuilds some entries as needed. ZoneAlarm was like this too. I would remove the entry but the entry would get rebuilt via the software and the computer. The entry would be there, after a while I looked to adding it to a 'safe' list...

9. Anon-7f4ca145be

OK, I've done a little research. See this link for a good explanation of what Redemption is and does.

http://www.dimastr.com/redemption/

On my own this morning, I ran CCleaner BEFORE I opened Outlook and the "obsolete key did not exist", even though Spam Inspector is set as a start-up. I opened Outlook, then closed Outlook and ran CCleaner again. The Redemption key was there. It appears to me from this article that redemption is needed in my case since Spam Inspector wants to read incoming e-mail elements and take automatic action depending on my settings, particularly if I want to bounce spam.

Another article indicates that from a high end security perspective, Redemption could be considered a security risk, although this article also acknowledges that this is highly unlikely due to the size of the file which apparently deters its use as a carrier.

Therefore, I've decided to set this file as excluded in CCleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds