Attention Wine drinkers... Heads up!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Murphy Goode was recently bought out by Kendal Jackson. KJ is pretty much trashing the Murphy Goode label and kicking out the jug wines!:cry

Murphy Goode use to make an awesome Sauvignon Blanc, a nice Cabernet Sauvignon, and some other excellent wines. So now to my point. If you see fairly recent vintages by Murphy Goode at a decent price, get it while you can!

Their label will be jug wines soon. Sad end to a great wine. Their Sauvignon Blanc is just awesome! Nice and fruity with just a hint of smoked oak... :wine

I love wines that cost under $20 and can compete with wines that cost a lot more. The Murphy Goode was one of those, especially the Sauvignon Blanc, or Fume Blanc, that they had on the label.

E

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

What's a jug wine?
    High alcohol percentage and low price?
    Just my kind of drink! LOL

3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Definitely a wine drinker, but I've never heard of Murphy Goode before this. Kendal Jackson, however, is crap.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Jug wine is junk. Cheap, poor wine.:cry

This is like ThermalRight being bought out by Radio Shack... Sad end to a great wine.

E

5. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

it's like wine in a box. It's like vino koolaid and nasty.

6. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

I may be a bit of a snob but I like a good wine

[​IMG]

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I may not drink any more but i know a good wine (i used to be an expert i drank enough of it) the Californian chardonnays are very good with fish and some of the cape wines go very well with red meat.

but if you want to really splash out try a Nuits Saint Georges burgundy with a nice steak and a good Brie cheese.

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

lol....nuttin like a good jug wine to get the party started!

heh...actually, I'm not sure I've ever had jug wine. I used to drink Riuniti in high school. Does that count?

Never heard of the wine of which you speak Fred.

9. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I've never heard of the one being bought, but the one that bought it tastes like bottled ***. Just nasty

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

New campaign slogan?

Bottled ***. Drink up.

11. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

I stuck on Smoking Loon. :wine

12. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Not a huge wine drinker here, usually I just stick with my Dewar's White Label, but when I am in the mood for wine, I love Red Cat and White Cat from Hazlitt Winery.

Never heard of the other two in question here, but when I think of Jug Wine, all I can think of is good old Manischevitz (sp?) Cream Red.... this stuff is so sweet that it makes me want to vomit. LOL

~C

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Smoking Loon! Yikes! We had a Smoking Loon Pinot Noir we ordered for someone. Could not bring myself to try it.

The availability of wines vary greatly by region. Many wine makers are small, and only make a certain amount of wine, so the stuff that is common where I am may be unheard of just a state away. Some wines are sold by allotment. As in we can only get 2 cases a year. A larger market might get 5 cases.

But if you do run across some Murphy Goode, it might be a steal! Our wholeseller is closing it out. So we bought a bunch of Cab, Chard, and some Sauvignon Blanc for just a few bucks a bottle.

@Bill Nuits Saint Georges? Jeez, with the US dollar as low as it is, I will have to stick to the CA Pinots! And they are getting $$$ as well!:-D

E

14. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I would actually prefer jug wine over Riuniti. Not by much, though. That might even be worse than Boone's Farm. :hammer

I used to date a guy who knew I love wine, so he bought a bottle of Riuniti to go with the dinner he was making me one night. I'm afraid I simply couldn't do it. :eek:

The last few years I've been addicted to just about anything that comes out of the Fairplay area of northern California in the Sierra foothills (Charles B. Mitchell, Perry Creek, Windwalker and Oakstone mostly). Probably because my best friend lives in Tahoe and we do a bunch of tasting there, but I've not had much of anything I couldn't stand. Their Viogniers are my favourite and run about $20 a bottle (of course, with shipping they end up being closer to $30, but the Viognier I can get locally doesn't measure up and it's over $30).

15. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

Im pretty sure Smoking Loon is a Napa Valley wine. At any rate the Syrah and the Pinot Noir are good.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds