Laptop is not recognizing USB Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmblw, Oct 30, 2008.

1. kmblw

kmblw Private E-2

My daughter's computer, a Dell laptop, has stopped recognizing her USB drives. This includes thumb drives, external hard drive, USB mouse, etc.

I put in a new hard drive and new memory about 3 weeks ago. This problem started recently, like within the past couple of days.

She's using Windows XP.

Can anyone tell me how to try fixing this for her?

Diane

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi.. when you installed the OS on the new Hard Drive did you install the chipset drivers ?? if not go to Dell site and you should be able to DL from there . Cant look for you as you have not given full model number. :-o

3. kmblw

kmblw Private E-2

Hi Toke,
    I'm embarassed to say this but she rebooted her computer and now the USB ports are working. I guess I should have thought to tell her to do that because rebooting solves many other problems but I have no experience with this issue.

I didn't reinstall the OS but used an Acronis Image of the entire hard drive so would I still need to download the chipset drivers to keep this from happening again?

It's a Dell Inspiron D1505 laptop.

Thanks for your help!!

Diane

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds