Adjusting fan speed without bios/speedfan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DTBIncarnate, Jan 25, 2013.

1. DTBIncarnate

DTBIncarnate Private E-2

Basically I just got a new computer with an AMD FX-6100 processor, it comes with 3 fans installed, but the one on the side is ALWAYS on, and running at around 3500 rpm. I can't change the speed through BIOS, and speedfan doesn't seem to work at all for me.

I was told by the computer's tech support that it is probably controlled by the motherboard, and not bios. (Although it has settings 1-9 in bios that I can set, it just doesn't seem to change them at all)

I am completely new to this kind of thing, but my god I need to stop this noise. It is constantly running no matter what usage it is at. I've also tried adjusting the settings through power management -> Advanced power settings, with no luck. I am using Windows 8 by the way.

I took it apart and looked at the fan, it's some brand I've never heard of (sadly forgot the name whilst writing this) and it seemed to work and sound fine when it was detached from the side panel, but when I re-attach it it makes a buzzing noise, which makes me believe it's caused by the flow of air through the fan.

ANYWAYS! Is there any way I can change the fan settings, or make the BIOS setting actually effect the fans? I am seriously thinking about just getting a water cooled system just so I can unplug that one completely.

Thanks - D

P.S. Sorry for the wall of text, and will be monitoring this thread if any info is needed.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Can you tell us the name of the brand of PC and model version you have if from DELL, HP, ACER etc or if it was a custom build what motherboard make and model you have?

As not knowing your Windows version follow the below if you do not know the answers to the above as it may help us

3. DTBIncarnate

DTBIncarnate Private E-2

Here you go. :cool

It's from cyberpowerpc, which is apparently notorious for their noisy fan, but it is a great computer other than that.
    The motherboard is ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX

Attached Files:

4. DTBIncarnate

DTBIncarnate Private E-2

Now it's making noises, I think because it's constantly running...

Also, I can't seem to edit my posts.

5. DTBIncarnate

DTBIncarnate Private E-2

New update:

Apparently this is the cheapest fan you can possibly buy, around 4.00

Also, apparently it's a 4 pin fan, so I gave the company a few choice words about how I paid 850 dollars for a computer and I expect to have at least some decent fans, so they are sending me a 3 pin fan, hopefully not such a cheapo.

*At least I don't have to pay for it*

Maybe I'll sell the fan I have now for 4 dollars, the fan I'll be getting for probably 4 dollars, and bang, I'll buy an 8 dollar fan :D

The thing is, they told me a 4 pin fan can't have its settings changed.rolleyes

6. DavidGP

Hi

Just so I'm clear where is this fan located is it the case or CPU?

CPU fans and cheap ones can be noisy at times, which is why a good one is always best, they do cost a few $$ but they are worth it in the end, I use Zalman fans and this one is my current one HERE

Your BIOS H/W Monitor settings page should offer some adjustments to the CPU fan speed, so worth testing (automatic mode is the one I would try as that should adjust the speed dependent on the temp of the CPU opposed to full on all the time mode).

If the CPU fan is always on and at high RPM then you have a hot PC and to this tell us what temps your CPU is at? can use this HERE for measuring temps.

7. DTBIncarnate

DTBIncarnate Private E-2

For some reason my first reply wasn't saved so:

It's the fan that cools the motherboard, it's on the side of the computer casing, and basically just sucks air in to cool the entire computer (I've taken it out to see how hot it ran. I worked it out a lot and it only ran about 3-4C hotter.

I've tried every setting in BIOS and power settings, to no avail. No matter what settings I change it still runs at exactly 3500 - 3516 RPM ALWAYS. It doesn't slow down when I'm doing simple things, it doesn't speed up when I'm doing intense things.

Temps are
    CPU - 15C
    Motherboard - 27C
    Hard Drives - 30C

8. DavidGP

Hi

WOW your temps are perfect and great for a PC.

Now the noise is another issue, and the best option I have is to get another fan for the case and I use Noctua fans as they are quite as hell,

Sadly some BIOS settings do not allow for custom fan speed settings, newer motherboards using UEFI do, but then that's an outlay and for an upgrade over what you are having.

9. DTBIncarnate

DTBIncarnate Private E-2

The problem is, the BIOS settings actually do have the option to change settings from 1-9, when I disconnect the fan, the settings don't appear.

This means that obviously they are reading each fan, but when I change them and save settings, it has absolutely no effect on them. The settings do save, I've gone back into BIOS and they have been set where I left them.

My new fan should be here soon, hope it's not an utter piece of crap like the one it came with.

10. DTBIncarnate

DTBIncarnate Private E-2

Recently the fan started making very bad sounds, like a wire was hitting the fan blades or something, and thought about it, and ended up flipping the fan around so that it sucks air through the vents of the case and blows it out of the side, it seems to be working really well, and it's quieter than ever.

11. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Just came across this thread, something I wanted to do way back when.
    All my problems were solved with This...

Fantastic controller, up to 5 fans, have them running at 40%-100% with 10% incriments or switch off individual fans when not needed.
    Pretty easy to hook up, comes with both 3 and 4 pins power cables for each fan port and plenty of cabling.
    Also comes with temp sensors but personally I don't use them as I trust internal sensors more and it's just a bunch more wires you have to manage.

Had mine for about 18 months now, it gets used frequently, I have 5 fans, when just browsing or idle I switch off all but 2, when gaming (depending on ambient temps) I switch all 5 on and put them to either 60% + as needed. It's been well used and is more than worth every penny, if it was $65 I would still say it's worth it.

Well worth a look :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds