Search engine flops

Discussion in 'Software' started by sierkahn, Sep 5, 2014.

1. sierkahn

sierkahn Private E-2

I went on line this evening looking for a site to retrieve some specific information. I was using good old Google, then I used Ask. Then I got real upset because they both gave me one or two links to something that came near, not close to what I was looking for but I got as heck of a lot of other sites that had nothing what so ever to do with the items I was looking for.

Question???? Is there any program out there into which you can input a search item and have it go onto the web and look for only what you asked for? Or should I just forget searching for anything and crash my computer and forget about it all? I know GIGO..... Done a lot of that but I still wish for and hope there is someone or some thing either from mother earth or even outer space that can help me out. Thanks, I'll be checking back as long as I can remember my password and sign in name. Got it written down around here somewhere. Later DuD....

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

3. sierkahn

sierkahn Private E-2

Thanks LauraR; I tried that but it didn't work for me, it kept telling me it couldn't find anything.

I will keep looking and I hope there is something out there that will work.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Sorry that didn't work. Maybe someone can come up with something better for you. Usually if it's out there, the quotes will find it.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Perhaps if you shared with us what you are looking for we may better be able to help you.

6. sierkahn

sierkahn Private E-2

Hello TimW.

I was assigned to Company D, 1st Engineer Bn. 1st Inf. Div. Oct. 1967 to Aug. 1968 in VietNam. I have been looking for the Company Manning roster for that time period with the hopes I can find some of the guys I was hung up with. My main problem is that I was in a accident and have lost almost all of my memory of that time in my life. Sure would like to know a little about some of the things I did there. I was awarded a medal for some action and the orders tells a tale that is hard to believe. I really don't think I would have had the guts to do anything like what is pictured there. So really I am just trying to pick up a few pieces of my life that has been misplaced.

I have tried all the other sites but no luck. I did find the web page for the 1st Engineer Combat Bn. and I have attended a few of their reunions, met some guys that were there during the same time frame but no memories. I will keep looking until the sands run out of the glass. EB. By the by, I did leave there with SGT stripes on my arm. E-5..........

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  7. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A sincere thanks for your service. I was in college during the Vietnam War and all the guys worried about was the draft lottery. (I'm female so I did not have this hanging over my head).

How about this as a start? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Engineer_Battalion_(United_States)
    http://www.riley.army.mil/Units/1stInfantryDivision.aspx

http://vva1028mo.com/TWWWMoore.html

http://sargentportraits.com/tribute-colonelhowardsargent2.asp

http://www.military.com/buddy-finder/
    http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageSearch

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  9. C0rhHusk3r

C0rhHusk3r Private First Class

A sincere "thank you" for your service. While I spent 24 years in the U.S. military, including the entire VietNam era, I never served in a war zone. At least I don't think I did. I was in the submarine service, and in those days, it was often not disclosed (even to most of the crew) exactly where the boat was or where it was going.

10. sierkahn

sierkahn Private E-2

And a great big THANK YOU C0rhHusk3r for your service. The closest I have ever come to being under the water was once when my brother ducked me in the bath tub. He never wanted to do that again. Being as you were in the Silent Service, you had to have more than your share of guts. I salute you my friend. There I hope never to venture. But I guess it was great duty for those that liked it. Your a better man than I Gunga Dinn. EB.

11. C0rhHusk3r

C0rhHusk3r Private First Class

Well, submarines aren't for everybody, that's for sure. Back then, sub service took volunteers only (not sure how it is today). We had to undergo a bunch of psychological evaluations to be accepted; claustrophobia was obviously a disqualifier, along with a number of other things.

Even today I can't say exactly what we did. But there's an excellent book called "Blind Man's Bluff" that goes into some of the things that went on. Pretty amazing, actually.

Good luck in your search for information about your old unit. I have a brother-in-law who retired from the Army. He spent a number of years in the "Big Red 1." He was a Sapper. Younger than me, so his fun times were in Gulf wars one and two.

12. sierkahn

sierkahn Private E-2

I know we are getting a lot of people misty eyed with all our babbling but just for old times, tell your brother-in-law to hang onto his blasting caps, Det-cord and time fuse. I need some, just ran out getting rid of an old car in my neighbors yard. Should have seen it, popped open like an over ripe melon. The BIG RED ONE. always say that with a prayer. My one year must have been great, I got home without a scratch. then ....... who knows. See if you can find my email address from the site manager and drop me a line sometime.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds