BOOTMGR is Missing...32 or 64?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RGW, Sep 7, 2014.

1. RGW

RGW Private E-2

I've received the BOOTMGR is missing message on an older Alienware computer I'm using. Looking online, it appears that I need a Windows Vista installation or repair disk. However, I don't know if I need to order the 32 or 64 bit version.
    Since I can't get the computer to start and I don't have any documentation on the comp (it was a hand me down), how do I know if the comp is 32 or 64 bit?
    Thanks for any help.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you go to the Dell Support site and enter the Service Tag number of the Alienware computer (on a label on the computer) you'll be able to determine whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit. But, since it's an Alienware, I'd say it's 64-bit. While you're at the site, you'll also be able to download device drivers and documentation along with some other software for your specific computer.

3. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Okay, apparently Dell doesn't offer support for any computers pre-2009, so I couldn't find any help on their site. I ordered a Windows Vista installation disc on ebay, after confirming it's 64 bit, and it arrived today.
    I followed the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMLTOYiZcZY
    but eventually received a message that I had the wrong installation disc.
    I'm assuming that I shouldn't have the Windows Vista Premium disc, but this was the only Windows Vista disc I could find.
    So, I used the disc to instead install Windows again, but I don't know how this will work. Everything looks like it's in safe mode.
    What should I do now? Try to find the proper disc? If so, how can I be sure that I'm getting the right one?
    Any help is appreciated.

4. mdonah

Even today, if I enter the Service Tag number for my old Dell Dimension 4500S,purchased in 2001, I can still get drivers and downloads for it. The same is true for my Dell Precision M70 originally purchased in 2005.

All Vista and Win 7 install DVDs have all the files necessary to install any version of Vista or 7. What determines which version is installed is part of the Product Key. I, too, run Vista Ultimate on my Dell Precision M70 but, if I had purchased the Ultimate DVD and had a Product Key for Home Premium, when I entered the Product Key during install, Home Premium would have been installed.

I recommend trying the second option demonstrated in the video (Command line). If this fails, you're looking at wiping the drive and doing a clean install of Vista using the Product Key from the sticker on your computer.

5. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Thanks for your help. This is the problem I'm having now...I don't get the black screen with the BOOTMGR message anymore. Now, my computer loads Windows, but it's the new version I installed last night. I loaded the installation disc again, but didn't get the option to Repair the comp, just to install Windows yet again.
    So is there any way I can get back to the Repair option? I'd like to get Windows back as it existed before the computer crashed. I'm assuming I have to somehow delete this new version of Windows Vista I installed last night, correct?

6. mdonah

Once the Operating System is installed, you can't remove it

After you select the language you're going to use, the next screen that comes up has the Install button and in the lower left there's "What you need to know before installing Windows" and below that "Repair your computer". Both are links you can click on.

However, since you apparently did a fresh, clean install, you may be faced with re-installing your device drivers and apps and reconfiguring your settings.

See if there's a folder on your "C" drive called "Windows Old". If there is, you should be able to recover your data files from there. If it wasn't created during the installation process, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Out of curiosity, did you try the Command line repair as I suggested?

7. RGW

RGW Private E-2

I see the Windows Old folder, with my old programs listed on folders. How do I take an old program, like say iTunes or Fast Stone, and restore it on my desktop? Right-clicking and clicking on open doesn't open the program, just that file.

I tried to do the Command line repair fix, but the "Repair your computer" option never appeared. I don't know of any other way to get to that screen.

8. mdonah

The Command line repair should have been attempted the way it was outlined in the video before you did the complete install. You'll also need to run Windows Update a few times to make sure your computer is fully patched with the Security Updates.

As I stated in my previous post, you'll be able to recover your data (photos, songs, documents, etc). The apps need to be re-installed because their registry values and other associated files aren't on the new Windows installation or in the proper locations.

Are all of your devices working properly? If not, go to the Dell Support site, enter your Service Tag number or let Dell scan your computer to detect your Product. Then click on Drivers & downloads on the left and download what you need.

Also, as I stated, you're going to need to reconfigure your settings

9. mdonah

I did some further research on your issue.

You MAY be able to restore your previous Vista installation by following the instructions on this page. It's normally used to roll back to XP or 2000 but MAY work for Vista as well. It may be worth a try. However, I can't make any guarantees.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds