MMC could not create the snap-in

Discussion in 'Software' started by funkyecat, May 12, 2009.

1. funkyecat

funkyecat Private First Class

(I was trying to remove the Avira popup; however, when I try to access gpedit.msc, secpol.msc or use Local Security Settings I get an error message-)

"MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in management might not have been installed correctly.

Name: Group policy (or ...)
    CLSID: [set of numbers as letters]
    "

WINXP Pro

Did not work in safe mode either.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Reregister the Group Policy dlls that are missing. Info is supplied here
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784062.aspx

This might be easier.
    Go here http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    scroll down to line 230, left column and click on Restore Group Policy Snap-in
    I believe that downloads a .reg file to your computer. You can right-click it and open it in notepad to see what it contains. If you are happy with the .reg file, click it and you will get a popup about merging with your registry. Select Yes and that might fix the problem.

3. funkyecat

The Kellys corner site-#230 only shows 2 entries but does not download a .reg file.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi funkyecat,

Line 230, right-click 'Restore Group Policy Snap-in' and choose 'save as', save it to your Desktop as grouppolicy.reg (type = all files - NOT txt file).

To use it once it's on your Desktop, double-click or right-click and choose 'merge' and answer yes to the import prompt.

5. funkyecat

Right clicking #230 did not show a 'save as'. As I previously did, I copied it to Notepad and saved it as a '.reg' file. I had to go into regedit to merge it. I redid the same with the name you stated and received the same errors message as before.

Yes I did reboot.

6. funkyecat

Query: Could there be a service that is not working and/or some access to gpedit, etc. that has been changed?

Look outside the box?

7. satrow

So if you double-click a *.reg file, it will not merge? Do you get the Merge option when you right-click it?

Can you try re-registering the .dll's now, as suggested earlier by plodr?

It doesn't sound like the type of error I've seen when a needed service cannot be started. Something in the Group Policy settings? Perhaps ...

8. funkyecat

Do not know which dlls even in system32.

I had to import from within regedit. the reg file did not have a merge function.

9. satrow

Hmm, sounds like you have more than one problem.

Did you read the Technet page?

10. funkyecat

I believe that this probably came with XP SP3 ( Iknow that there were myriads of problems. I haven't use gpedit.msc recently, but I know I had access is the past since there were changes I made a while back. I noted at the Microsquish website that there were many dll changes in SP3. There was a fix, but it didn't help.

Since I can't fix them, apparently, and I fixed Avira through Commodo, I am not going to do anything more. It doesn't seem to affect anything else.

Unless you can do exorcism or come up with anything else, I want to thank you for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds