screen resolution will not change

Discussion in 'Software' started by caufenkamp, Oct 14, 2009.

1. caufenkamp

caufenkamp Private E-2

my mothers computers resolution will not change. its stuck on the lowest resolution which is annoying. i have installed the correct video card driver and the moniters driver is correct as well. im not computer stupid im just stuck with this. any ideas of why this is happening?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi :)

Could you tell us what Windows version that PC is using? and also what Graphic Card it has, if you dont know then thats fine, if the PC is a make like DELL, HP etc just tell us the make and model number. Is it a laptop or desktop?

If you enter Device Manager are there any yellow ! marks and if so by what? also while in Device Manager click Display Adapters and tell us whats listed, if its like "default" display adapter or "Standard PCI graphic adapter VGA"? if it says "Default" or "Standard PCI etc" then the driver is likely the basic one and that in the main only does 640x480 res, so an update is needed to the graphic driver, so check for latest driver and uninstall the old one first.

Does this PC also have a dual monitor setup?

What is the resolution its stuck at?

3. caufenkamp

caufenkamp Private E-2

its running XP and the graphics is nvidia geforce 5200 ive done the updates and everything i work on computers so i got that far haha it is a desktop and its refurbished so i could not tell u whats all in it. shes had this comp fo abut 1 year now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds