AVG Free won't install

Discussion in 'Software' started by thomsonir, Sep 6, 2008.

1. thomsonir

thomsonir Private E-2

Here is the error message:
    Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
    Error 0x80070005

I had previously removed McAfee using Revo Uninstaller. I obviously removed some vital registry keys that I shouldn't have. I restored the system to the point saved by Revo Uninstaller, but that didn't solve the problem.

I also can't use Windows Help and get the "can't find helpctr.exe" error message.

I have tried a couple of registry tools without success. So right now I have no antivirus or malware protection.

Can anyone help??:eek:

Thanks,
    Ian

2. thomsonir

thomsonir Private E-2

Thanks Mark,
    I downloaded the removal tool and ran it twice with restarts x 2. Then ran CCleaner.
    I still receive the same error message when attempting to install AVG Free.
    Any further thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Ian

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. thomsonir

thomsonir Private E-2

Thanks Plodr for your suggestions. However, after running dial a fix to reset permissions I remain unable to install AVG Free and obtain the same error message.

Incidentally, I tried to reinstall my Help and Support using dial a fix. That also was unsuccessful as it was unable to find a .cab file in my Service Pack Files. It asked for the XP Service Pack 3 CD which of course I do not have.

I feel that I need to reinstall SP3 to fix the registry errors, but that seems a daunting task.

Thanks Again
    Ian

5. thomsonir

thomsonir Private E-2

Thanks everyone for your help. I have abandoned attempting to install AVG free and have installed PC Tools Antivirus free. That seemed to go fine. If I can't fix the my "help and support" problem I will try a separate post for that.
    Regards,
    Ian.

6. thomsonir

thomsonir Private E-2

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your input. I may give that a go. My concern was related to a warning an the Microsoft Update site about removing and reinstalling Updates in the precisely correct order. If it's as simple as uninstalling and then updating I would be willing to try that. Do you have any other caveats before I try that?
    Regards,
    Ian

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds