Cleaning cache and temp files

Discussion in 'Software' started by i ronnie, Jan 28, 2004.

1. i ronnie

i ronnie Private E-2

Hi, Can I go into windows explorer and just delete the files that are in the cache and temp files? When I use "disk cleanup" and /or netscape to clean out these files I'll look in winexplorer and there's still many file in there. Do these need to stay? I'm having trouble with my adsl and thought I might not be cleaning out the cache/temp files properly. Thanks if anyone can help.

2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Welcome to MG, i ronnie, BUT READ the instructions and follow them, please. See the sticky post at the top of the forum list.

One of the things you learn in that post is that you get nowhere by asking for help when we have no idea what Operating System you're using.

Now, assuming you're running XP:

You can safely remove anything that Windows will LET you remove from the Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp folder and the Windows\Temp folder, and you can clean out the Internet Explorer cache pretty well by opening IE and using Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files....
    In Netscape, you can delete the entire contents of the Cache folder in Explorer whenever the browser is CLOSED, and you can empty the cache partially ANYtime by using the Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Cache, Clear Cache button.

Does that help?

3. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

give this program a try

I use this program on my computer

If I recall correctly Major attitude recommented this on another thread

I downloaded it to tried it and I liked it a lot

edit: Oh yeah and its FREEEEEEEEEEE :)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1287

4. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

5. i ronnie

i ronnie Private E-2

Thanks for the program rec's.

Sorry, I neglected to say what my OS was etc. I'm using win98SE; and netscape 7.1. Will your instructions also work in win98se or is there a different procedure I should follow? Thanks for the information.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  6. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

These progs should make no difference, as to what you are running.

7. i ronnie

i ronnie Private E-2

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself too clear. Since the instructions for clearing out the cache/temp files given by wisewiz were for XP I was wondering what the procedure would be for win98se. Thanks.

8. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Well, in W98SE, you don't HAVE a Documents and Settings folder, so I guess that's out. In 98, the only Temp folder is the one in the Windows folder, unless you've set up a different one somewhere. (I never liked having tmp files written to my OS folder, and having to delete them from there all the time, so I set up C:\Temp on all of my Win95 and Win98 computers, and directed all TEMP and TMP to my own new Temp folder by adding the lines

SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
    SET TMP=C:\TEMP

to the autoexec.bat file.)

SO, ... Yes, you can safely close all running programs (and your browser) and open C:\Windows\Temp and type Ctrl+a (to select everything in there) and hit the Del key. If Windows objects to something in there, then select everything BUT the thing(s) it complained about, and Del what you've selected.

And yes, for Netscape 7.1, the Cache button is as I said above, but if the browser is closed, you can go to the Cache folder and empty it completely. It's in
    Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\yourusername\xxxxxxxx.slt
    (where xxxxxxx is a randomly assigned string of alphanumeric characters).

Now, if you'd like to set up a tiny "program" that will let you empty the Netscape Cache with a click whenever you finish browsing, post back and I'll help you do just that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds