Snow blanket, literally...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by the mekanic, Jan 27, 2015.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

We got absolutely pounded overnight by the Northeast Blizzard.

Drifts are over three feet, and I was shoveling out of at least thirty inches in most spots. We're talking three shovel fulls easy to go the width and breadth of one!

We snapped some photos for posterity, and decided to call the attached one "Hope"! :-D

Attached Files:

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Wow...crazy! You must be up in New England?

It pretty much totally missed the Philly area...and was a dude in NYC as well, which I'm glad about since a couple of my friends and I are headed into NY for an overnight trip.

I feel for you. I'm glad we didn't get it like predicted.

3. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Still at 100+ deg.f, here and as humid as the Tropics. I hate Perth summers!:(:(. I have all air-cons maxed out. Blew one, already, heh!, heh!:eek
    Still, heavy snowfalls are way worse. Can't do much outside with those storms around.

4. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

BRRRR. I don't like these cold mornings. 49F. I've got to get up, turn up the heater. Get back in bed under the nice comforter. :-D

5. the mekanic

Not really.

I'll have to post pics of the tube trail when it's completed. Probably finish the "luge" today. It's A LOT of work, but worth it...

6. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Thank goodness it hasn't been bad here! The furnace went out last night, and it was 49F in my house before the gas company guy got here to fix it. Turns out all we needed was a new thermocoupler, but I don't mess with things that involve natural gas. It's been about two hours since he left, and we're all the way up to a balmy 61F in here.

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

8. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes....the white death!! :(

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Dang global cooling/warming/man made climate change. :-D

Lows in the 40°, highs in the 70°. Winter is rough here in the south. :cool

Glad to see you are OK, just have to dig out of that white stuff. Stay warm!

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Some awesome snow and weather around at present.

We are just chilly even though the press here think its a "crisis" its not a few mm of snow is not a panic stations, the UK and its populus is not geared towards anything we need to be wrapped in cotton wool all the time and blame Gov for anything including weather! I despair sometimes or always!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-severe-ice-warnings-5074382 really??

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Who would have thunk it? Cold weather... in winter. :confused

Dang global cooling ah global warming ahh man made climate crisis. :-D

13. DavidGP

I know Fred, I'm damn surprised, snook up on me!

14. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

15. DavidGP

If we had even that weather Tibbs then the UK would be in full crisis meltdown, with press calling it "thundersnow" who made that corker up, why not snow hurricane!

16. DavidGP

Muskie do you think reporters and official weather folk know how to count ahahahhaha me like Beth is snorting with derision :)

If they have not got a good "buzzword" for the weather they are lost, now you want to let them know you had a Category 13 snowhurricane and they will be AH yes we know about those, even though you just made it up.

Some snow you are getting Muskie mate, whats driving like or dont you bother?

17. DavidGP

Totally agree with you here even with just icy roads for a few mm of snow drivers who are not used to snow think they are driving in normal road conditions and do their usual idiotic put out right in front of you manouvers, unawares you cannot stop like you normally would, nearly caught out a few years ago by an idiot that did that pulled out of a side road quickly to get in front of me and he lost traction, and ground to a halt as he kept his foot burried!

Luckily my car had and new was had ESP and Traction control so copes OK with bad weather if you drive within the weather conditions, in this case I knew what some idiot may do at this junction and had just taken foot of gas pedal, so could brake ok.

Did you film that?

18. DavidGP

Hhahaha on alert to get off gas, my reduces the power so you can put the pedal through the floor and if no traction in the wheels you go no quicker.

Indeed snow melt and snow on top is a nightmare.

Neat film!

19. DavidGP

Hahahaha on the "they can visit" comment!

Only thing is finding a place which has a happy medium in weather, good internet speeds, and good restaurants, homes not too expensive etc

20. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Thundersnow is actually a thing! All y'all are only hearing it now because it never happens across the pond. It's not common by any means, but I love when it happens since I'm a HUGE fan of thunderstorms. It's one of the only saving graces to winter. It's a thunderstorm in winter, thus it's snowing instead of raining, thus "thundersnow". Oh, and that baby storm that shut down the east coast last week? Snow hurricane. It even had a name! :-D LOL

Musksnipe, "official" snow totals are measured typically at airports, or at accredited weather stations elsewhere. And as you know from living here, total snow on the ground can change even as close as next door. I was at my niece's house from Friday through Monday, which is almost directly east across the river from me maybe a mile as the crow flies, and the snow at her house wasn't nearly as deep as it was at mine. Our snow on the ground is currently about 9 inches, but the drift that always happens between my house and garage is about mid-thigh to me, so without actually measuring I'd say 30 or so inches.

I am jealous, by the way, that where you live they keep the roads well-plowed and salted! Here, we're lucky to see a plow the day after a heavy snowfall, and then only one pass in each direction. In this last one, the service plowed my driveway four times, and just a few minutes ago I saw the second snowplow pass.

21. the mekanic

22. DavidGP

@Tibbs I would guess to UK press using that term in a very over used way as we suposidly had one of these last week and in now way was there any thunderclaps or lightening, just a quick heavy snowfall. Building I'm on is near sea and on a hill, plus I'm on the 3rd floor of the building so generally get to see the bad weather coming in.

I can see those terms used in the USA as I have seen the snow storms come in over the great lakes but in the UK, nah!

Maybe its something weather forecasters have used for years and never was picked up in the press until it seems sensationalised for capturing viewers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds