wired/wireless network connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suncatcher1517, Feb 24, 2009.

1. suncatcher1517

suncatcher1517 Private E-2

I currently have two desktops connected to the internet through a router using cables. This is a wireless router but it was easier to just use the cables. I would now like to connect a laptop as well (wireless). Do I need to create a new network connection? If so, how would I do that while still maintaining the two desktops as wired?

2. Coayuco

Coayuco Private E-2

No. If you want to share folders and printers, you just need to run the network setup on the laptop to make it part of your home network. If your router is also your gateway and all you need is Internet access from the laptop then all that is required is the network key.

I have four computers connected. The two in the same room are connected to the router with cables. The two in other rooms have wireless adapters. I have printers in all three rooms that are shared by the four computers. They also share a scanner and fax machine.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

In addition to what Coayuco said, you should enable WPA wireless security; this encrypts your wireless signal to prevent anyone else from gaining access to your wireless signal. Here's some info on WPA: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815485. To create a very strong WPA passphrase, or "key", use the website: http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php

You may need to also enable wireless broadcast in your router. Do you know how to access your router admin panel?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds