building

Discussion in 'Software' started by uLtra_nOOb, Mar 16, 2004.

1. uLtra_nOOb

uLtra_nOOb Private E-2

a question for all linux experts, and alike:
    i've found lindows source at: ftp://130.94.123.237/lindowsos-4.x-source/. and downloaded it of course. little did i know that i don't know how to build an install cd. does any of u know how to build one from the files downloaded from that link. please help, all the help will be much apreciated.

2. Vision Master

Vision Master Private E-2

I think what you downloaded are files that update lindows. Most linux like mandrake,slackware etc. have
    ISO files that you download and burn to a cd to install them. But I am not 100 % sure of that,you might find
    a answer here. linux

3. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

if you are just kinda dabbling in linux, id reccomend gentoo. its a very easy to use distro. and lin--s, well, as for that, im not sure how much longer they are gonna be around

4. uLtra_nOOb

uLtra_nOOb Private E-2

thx for the input. i'll trash this lindows and go with mandrake 9.0. format c:

5. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Yes, agreed with DanTekGeek.
    I read last night that Lindows kind of has one do everything as "root" or so. If that is true, it certainly is a Bad Thing.

Let us know about your linux adventures, though, keep us other linux wannabees (me, that is), hopping

6. tuxp

tuxp Private E-2

mandrake knoppix and red hat are the most user friendly

www.distrowatch.com all the distros listed have fun

7. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

8. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

You won't find lindows for download it is not free, There are many other tho and all of them usualy come as an ISO or burnable image for CD's, mandrake is not bad, also chekc out Fedora the new project by the Redhat team, the RPM's make installs easier, you dont have to compile source code to install stuff, which can be troublesome

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds