Notebook Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmd31842, Oct 9, 2007.

1. dmd31842

dmd31842 Corporal

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m and have 1.25G of RAM and want to upgrade the memory. My service tag is 7KWYF51. Can someone tell me how much memory I can add? Do I have a maximum? Do I need a pair or can I add just one? Do I need memory sticks from Dell or can I get them some other place? Thanks, David

2. Ruselesseyes

Ruselesseyes Private E-2

For details on memory capacities, We will need details of your motherboard, the manual should also list these details.

What motherboard ard you using?

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

4. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

5. dmd31842

dmd31842 Corporal

Is it necessary to know what kind of motherboard I have? If so, how do I find out that information? Thanks

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The best way to determine this is to go to http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx?cat=ram
    and either let the site scan your computer or on the right, go through the steps listing the manufacturer, and end up here http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...on 600m&pl=Inspiron Laptops/Notebooks&cat=RAM
    No. You can install just one stick.
    You can buy the memory at another site BUT double, triple and quadruple check that what you select matches perfectly with what Crucial says is the type of memory you need.
    No but it is a good thing to know as much information about your computer as possible.
    Download Belarc Advisor
    http://majorgeeks.com/Belarc_Advisor_d1385.html
    install it and run it. Then print out all the pages of information. Not only will it tell you your motherboard and version of BIOS on the computer but it will also tell you the amount of memory and how much is in each slot. You will see all the software installed and will point out any windows patches you are missing.
    Then when someone asks about your computer specs, you pull out the paper and can tell them exactly what they want to know.

7. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Your best bet would be to head off to The Crucial System Scanner as previously suggested by Fred_G and plodr and post the results back here

The site should tell you
    How many 'sticks' of RAM your system can take
    Total amount of RAM that can be used per slot
    Type of RAM that is suitable
    Whether your board supports dual channel

as well as
    How many 'sticks' of RAM are currently in your system
    What size, type, speed etc are the installed 'sticks'

8. dmd31842

dmd31842 Corporal

Thanks for all this information. It is appreciated! David

9. dmd31842

dmd31842 Corporal

The Crucial scanner tells me I have: 1.25GB memory and 0 empty slots
    Number of Banks - 2
    Dual Channel support - No
    Board: Dell 0G5152
    Drives: 80 G and 44 G (separate)

I have Vista Business installed on the larger drive (secondary) but want to install it on the smaller drive and it doesn't seem to be able to install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds