Tried everything- but icons keep moving by themselves!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by ahoosparkle, Apr 9, 2007.

1. ahoosparkle

ahoosparkle Private E-2

:banghead

I'm a newbie whose been around the block just a few times.

I know there are similar posts, but nothing that has helped me yet. I am going completely batty over this. My icons don't re-arrange themselves on re-boot- they just up and all move to the left side of the screen at the oddest times- i haven't linked it to a specific software or action- they just get possessed from time to time and move. I've installed Iconocity- but i have to "restore icon positions" 2-4 times before they are all back where they should be (and even that doesn't always happen) - and this happens 3-10 times a day- on a good day.

I have:

Windows XP Pro SP2 that is pretty up to date with all the Dell/Windows tech updates. I only use Firefox (unless forced to use IE).
    freeware versions of utilities:
    Sygate Firewall
    Antivir Personal
    Spybot S&D
    Spyware Blaster
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    CCleaner
    RegSeeker
    RegCleaner

I have other software on there, like Sonic, Macromedia Suite, Adobe album, uTorrent, etc. etc. etc.

I do not have any of the "auto" stuff checked on desktop.
    I run my utilities daily.

HELP!!!! I can't think of anything else to do? is there a remedy?

Please help me, Supergeeks.:p

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Go to desktop and right click....Arrange Icons by > is "auto arrange" checked? If so, uncheck it. Should do the trick.

3. ahoosparkle

ahoosparkle Private E-2

thx- but it's not checked. none of them are checked.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Is "Show desktop icons" checked????

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Go to Run and type REGEDIT

Locate this key:

HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Look in the right pane for a value called NoSaveSettings. If it exists, double click NoSaveSettings and set the value to 0.

If it doesn't exist, right click in the right pane and select New, DWord value and name it NoSaveSettings. Leave the value set at 0.

Exit the Registry by clicking the X as usual. Then reboot.

6. ahoosparkle

ahoosparkle Private E-2

Can't find that- but all the icons are showing.....

7. ahoosparkle

ahoosparkle Private E-2

Here's what i did:
    NoSaveSettings was a binary, with multiple 0000s. I erased it, and entered a new line with Dword and etc.-- now it's worse. When i reboot all the icons have moved to the left again, and i have to restore 4 times to get them back to where i want them.
    any more ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds