can't reformat Acer laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by pammy37, Nov 23, 2010.

1. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

I am trying to reinstall windows 7 for a friend...in fact, at this stage installing anything would do.
    Her laptop stopped booting up. No matter what you do it just "hangs"...not even the welcome screen etc.
    I managed to change the bios to boot from CD, but when I put in the windows 7 disc...or any disc at all actually....i get the one line that says downloading files..then absolutely nothing at all except the cursor in the middle of the screen.
    I tried waiting it out for hours at a time....still nothing.
    Anybody got any thought as to what the problem could be???

Regards
    Pam

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi pammy, what model is the laptop?

3. Juberto

Juberto Private E-2

I've seen this a few times when installing XP on computers, try swapping the CD/DVD drive... even if the drive is working fine some will stall on installation.

4. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

wow..you guys are fast replying...
    Firstly, I dont understand what you mean by swapping the drive..sorry..(I forgot to mention I'm not techy minded one bit)
    Secondly, its an Acer Aspire 5315.
    Thanks
    Pam

5. Juberto

Juberto Private E-2

haha sorry, I meant Removing the drive from the laptop and temporally installing a new one just to boot Windows.
    If your not tech minded I wouldn't start swapping Laptop hardware though, especially if it is only a theory that that is the problem you are having.
    Good luck.

6. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

I'm even more worried now..I downloaded the Vista Recovery Disk, and even that does the same thing..just downloads files for a couple of minutes along a single line, and then the cursor - and not a thing.
    Pam

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you give the exact wording of this line? Is it on a blue screen from Windows or is there any other information on the screen?

8. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

Just the black screen with "windows is loading files" then the white download line..then when that finishes all the way across - then the words "microsoft corporation" with the little thingy going across..that goes for a minute or two then black screen, (you can feel the disk stop spinning even) then after a couple of mins the cursor in the center of the screen
    Pam

9. dolittlejerry

dolittlejerry Private E-2

Can you open the BIOS? Dose it see the Hard drive?
    Sounds like the HD is bad :(
    You could also try a live Linux distro (knoppix, Ubutu ect.) and boot with it and see if it can open the hard drive.

10. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

I can open the setup...but so sorry..i dont understand "seeing the HD".
    I've tried other boot disks...even dear ole windows 98..but the same thing happens.
    Pam

11. sach2

I'm sorry for asking again but I just want to be certain you are booting from CD. [I believe you are] Is there a difference between the way it stops with the cursor in the middle of the screen after loading files from the CDs as opposed to what you see with no CD in the tray and booting to HD?

12. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

when i try to boot without a cd in it, the last couple of times it went to a screen that gave me 2 options...
    Launch Startup Repair
    or
    Start Windows normally

I have tried both a couple of times..
    no result with either of them

Is that what you meant??
    P

13. sach2

Yes. So you are booting to the Windows installation CD but it is not successfully loading the setup program.

Now, we have to figure out what to do about it. (I'll get back to this thread but I'm watching the Good Wife and it is too complicated for me to do both a the same time).

14. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

hehehe..one of my favorite shows as well..ya gotta get your priorities right...lol

15. sach2

It could be a HD problem but I would think you would get an error message.

A quick check on your recovery options would be if you hit <alt> and <F10> during POST (the Acer logo) do you get any recovery options?

16. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

sorry..was having some lunch..
    I just tried that..virtually got the same result..loaded some files..then the m/soft corporation for a minute or 2 then nothing...

I'm beginning to think their HD may have carked it
    P

17. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

wow..something different happening....a greeny patterned screen just came up with "please wait a moment"
    that's a first...
    waiting.....waiting.......
    will let u know
    P

18. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

ok..2 options...
    restore to factory default..tried that but it still wanted to restore from cd
    It wont "read" the vista disk i put in there..or even the windows 7 disc..or the vista repair one.

Trying it all again

19. sach2

Since that is the recovery option it is probably looking for a disc that was burned when your friend first got the computer. It may not work with a generic Vista disc.

Let's see your friend was able to install Win7 from CD on that computer at some point in the last year with no problems. Now it loads basic files to begin the installation but freezes.

On a hardware front I'm more inclined to think bad or loose memory module than bad HD. Can you open the memory cover on the bottom of the laptop and give the modules a firm push to see if they are solidly in place?

20. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

quick update
    i tried the F10 thing again..this time it accepted me trying to restore it to factory default...thats where I am at now...the "please wait a moment" screen....
    Its never had windows 7 on it by the way..that disk is mine..its just that I dont really trust the vista disk they got from the person they got it from....so i would prefer to put windows 7 on it if I get to that point..
    I like windows 7 way better than vista anyway...
    Will keep you updated
    Pam

21. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

I wish i could do a screenshot for you...
    got a small black dialogue box now
    heading at the top is X:\D2D32.exe

writing below says:
    Microsoft Diskpart version 6.0.6000
    copyright etc etc m/soft
    On computer: MINWINPC
    cursor flashing at that point...

I guess i just leave it there and wait for the next development?????

(this is all rather exciting...lol)
    P

22. sach2

I hope it is reading a hidden recovery partition and trying to put the original Vista back on. At least it isn't just a cursor for now. Give a little time and see what happens.

23. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

Have had to give up (and I totally hate doing that)..the restore wont work..no disk will work...
    siggghhhh
    I cant thank you enough for your help with this....
    Regards
    Pam

(P.S. If she goes back to her husband in the Good Wife, I am going to put my foot thru the TV....lol)

24. ~Q~

Hey pammy (sorry i flaked last night)

I've come across this issue myself a few of times, with seemingly different causes...

1 - The laptop CD/DVD Drive was bad (i used an external DVD)

2 - The memory was bad (it installed after i removed one of the sticks of RAM)

3 - On an old packard bell laptop the cursor happened no matter what i tried.

The HDD being bad seems less likely to me (although possible) as it should still get to the partitoning screen in 7 wether the HDD is good or bad or even if ther is no HDD.

If you look on the bottom of the laptop ther should be a couple of little panels with screws, if you loosen the screws and remove the panels you should see the Memory and HDD.

I'd like you to remove one of the sticks of RAM and then try to install...

If that still fails, swap the stick for the other one and try again.

If it still hangs, then try removing the HDD and see if it gets past it then, if it does we will know what was causing the problem.

(if you need any help with anything just ask :)

BTW; this is what the RAM in your laptop looks like....
    RAM PHOTO

25. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

Thanks Q..just about to go to bed now (have been out playing Bingo)
    I will give it a try in the morning..actually, I know what the ram looks like..but in a laptop..what does the HD look like>>>
    P

26. ~Q~

A Laptop HDD looks just like a normal HDD but smaller...
    [​IMG]

It will likely have a "caddy" (a sort of metal wrapper/case that holds the HDD in place, these usually just pull out but sometimes have a screw holding them in.

27. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

morning all...
    ok..just woke ready for day 2 with the lackadaisical laptop. The first screws I undid hid the HD. so I have that out now and am trying to do things without it.
    I have a silly question....how would it be able to even try to install without a HD..dont you need one to install windows on to??
    P

28. ~Q~

No you can start the install and you *should* get up to the screen wheer you get to partition the drive, but you wont see any options for te drive cos its not ther.

Were just ruling out the HDD causing any problems.

(note: you need to have at least one stick of RAM in for your lappy to work at all!

29. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

oh my goodness....i put the windows 7 disk in and it's taking it and installing it....shall I go on?? I dont have a HD in the computer now

30. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

well..i havent even attempted to take out the ram yet..(looks like we found the culprit anyway doesnt it???)
    What do I do if and when I get to the partitition stage pls?

31. ~Q~

if you have got the HDD out you will have to just quit the install.

Do you know how to hook the HDD from the laptop up to your desktop computer?

32. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

sorry..i just re-read your note. I guess i just stop when i get to that point...lol
    Looks like its shopping around time for them for another HD....
    P

33. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

No..I dont know how to do that...would that solve any problems??
    Actually, would I then be able to save their photos???

34. ~Q~

It might just be corrupted and it is bugging the lapptop out, if you can get it hooked up to another computer and try and format it it might work ok.

35. ~Q~

Infact, i'd bet money that if you can connect it and format it elsewhere it will work in the laptop!

36. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

damn..i just had a look at it, and cant for the life me see how I attach it to another PC.
    I dont want to start pulling my own desktop computer apart....maybe i should just tell them to take it to a computer repair place..I am sure they would know how to try and format it for them...at a huge price of course.....lol
    Is it simple to attach it to mine???

37. ~Q~

If you are comfortable opening the side of your PC (should just be 2 screws on the back)

You just need to look for a spare SATA cable and Power supply. and if one is available, just plug it in and turn your computer back on.

This is a SATA cable...
    [​IMG]

This is a SATA Power Supply cable...
    [​IMG]

Just ask if your not sure of anything. :)

38. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

arrrggghhh...i might leave that one well alone..in any case..the end of the HD doesnt look like anything that one of those cables would slot into....it looks more like ram sticking out of it.

Attached Files:

39. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

i just took the side off my pc....there is just the small 5 pin ribbons..and 1 wide flat one with a double row of lots of tiny holes..
    I cant see that the HD would fit on either of those.
    Pam

40. ~Q~

lol; I know what you mean but trust me they would fit (if you had them in your PC)

If you look at the HDD connectors end on, you will see they both make little "L" shapes
    (the bigger one is the Power)

If you dont want to open your PC, ther is an other option (will cost about £5) you can get an adapter to plug the HDD into a USB port on a computer.

41. ~Q~

It sounds like your PC is running IDE...

Chances are it does have a SATA port in ther somewhere (unless it is very old) but if you dont have a SATA cable then it is gameover for that plan.

42. ~Q~

Ok, i have an alternate plan B...

If you can burn a CD then you can download and burn a UBCD, this migth let you format the HDD while it is in the laptop.

It is not hard to do, but ther is a few steps to follow.

Let me know if you want to try and ill get ya some links and talk ya through it.

edit: my apologies to the interwebz for my tripple post :(

43. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

it IS very old....lol
    so wouldnt the usb adapter cable idea work either??

I have a new computer as well..but it is my pride and joy and I am definitely not going to even take the side off that one..
    Its my first ever brand new computer....lol

I would be willing to plug it in via usb though.
    I wonder how much the cables are over here.
    The shops here arent open yet. I am just off out now, so will call in to the computer shop and take a bit of a look.
    Will get back to you after.
    byeeee for now
    Pam

44. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

should have read yours first..lol
    I would be willing to try that....please send the links and as soon as I get back home will let you know so I can give it a go.
    I'll just put the HD back into the laptop.
    thx again
    Pam

45. ~Q~

If you can spare the money, getting the SATA to USB adaptor is a good buy as it is a very handy thing for any comuter owner to have.

And they arnt expensive (in UK anyway)

One thing to note, it is cheaper [here] to get a USB caddy for a 2.5" SATA laptop than it is a proper converter, but they do exactly the same thing.

46. pammy37

pammy37 Private E-2

I have started to dload a torrent....ubcd503 iso
    Is that any good???
    Anyway...will be home soon..if I dont go now I wont find a parking spot..lol

47. ~Q~

Thats the one.

48. ~Q~

Once you have got the UBCD downloaded you need to burn it onto a CD as an ISO
    [if it is a .zip file you will need to exract it first]

(*note* burning an ISO is not just like burning a normal disc)

If your not sure how to burn an ISO, i recommend you download and install infrarecorder..
    http://majorgeeks.com/InfraRecorder_d6206.html

Once installed open the program and select the option called "Write Image" (bottom left option)

Then just point it towards the downloaded UBCD ISO and burn it.

Once you have got the disc, just put it in the laptop and boot from it like you did the windows disc.

What i think we should try first is just wiping it and then trying to install windows.

Go to >> HARD DISK TOOLS >> WIPING TOOLS >> Active@Kill Disk ...

Then just go through the prompts to start the erase.

Now rather than waiting for it to wipe the whole disc [which will take a while] you can just let it run for a minute, then press ESC to cancel it.

This will erase all the boot records and what-not and the disk will appear to have been fully wiped.

Then just remove the disc, put your windows disc back in and try the install again.

Keep ya Fingers crossed and that might work for ya :)

If it doesn't come back on here and me or somebody else will help you with the partitoning if you need it.

Q

49. sach2

Hold on a second, I thought you were trying to possibly recover files? I don't think you want to format the drive yet.

I don't want to derail your process but have you given up on attempting to save any data?

What brand of HD is it?

50. ~Q~

Saving data? i thought the OP was trying to install windows!

Pammy37 If you need anything saved off the HDD stop what your doing.

*im off to re-read the htread*

edit: sach2, are you referring to the attempt OP made at using the built in recovery partition?

It sounded like it failed too, to me, and the OP said she would rather have 7 anyway.

Pammy, if you would like to try to get the recovery partiotn sorted, we can look into that, if you want to install 7 instead then carry on with the UBCD.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds