XP Pro wont install on my SATA raid array

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shellscnz, Nov 16, 2006.

1. shellscnz

shellscnz Private E-2

Hi there,

I am trying to setup winxppro onto a pair of wd 160gb hdd set up for raid 1, But when XP starts the install process, it decides it can't find my hard drives and won't install.

I have followed a few different installation guides to no effect, and I just can't see what it is I'm doing wrong.

I have an Albatron KM51-PV motherboard which uses nvRaid and two new Western Digital 160GB SATA hard drives.

I have also noticed that once the raid array has been configured in the bios and the raid array utility (Metashield) when the pc reboots, no hard drives can be seen at boot up.

Does anyone have any ideas? I am so completely stumped and feel like i've tried everything, including different driver versions for raid.

Any advice or ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks heaps in advance
    Shells

2. sewy18

sewy18 Private First Class

It happens same to me when I try to install windows on my sata drive.You need to download/get from cd the sata drivers from WD ,burn it to a floppy and when windows is setting up press f2 of f6 dont remember you need to isntall third party drivers .Install the drivers from the floppy and it will work.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

The normal bios won't see the array, but the bios for the raid chipset should see it (it being the array).

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"sata drivers from WD"

No, you don't need any drivers from WD... You will need the SATA drivers from Albatron, here: ftp://ftp.albatron.com.tw/product/it/mb/Driver/other/nForce4/Package/WHQL8.22_2K_XP.zip
    When Windows first loads, it will say at the bottom, something like, "Press F6 to install third party SCSI drivers." This is when you'll need to press F6 and load BOTH the SATA driver and the RAID driver from your floppy. (Note: It has to be on a floppy disk) Once you do this, it should be able to find your SATA RAID array.

This link is for Windows 2K/XP. Also, make sure you disconnect any IDE hard drives that might be connected when you are doing the install.

5. AMD Pro

AMD Pro Private E-2

I just want to say, I had this problem before. Check if you pluged the SATA cable on the SATA part of your motherboard. And also see if the wire is a SATA cable wire, because your hard drive is a sata.

6. shellscnz

shellscnz Private E-2

Hi there,

Thanks for all your responses, but at about 5hours past my bedtime, we finally figured out exactly what the problem was.

The drivers that came with the cd worked...once we read the readme file to see exactly which driver version to use with our motherboard! ...and to think one of the first things I remember my tutor telling me was READ THE READ ME's!!!! Duh.

Thanks anyway
    I'm outtie
    Shells

7. AMD Pro

AMD Pro Private E-2

One word for you: LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds