Network File Sharing Problem (Multi-Router)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danceingfreak, Jun 20, 2006.

1. danceingfreak

danceingfreak Private E-2

Setup: Linksys Wireless router (4-port) hooked directly to the internet with one computer (compA) and a D-Link router hooked. D-Link router has one computer(compB) hooked up to it.

Problem: Getting the compA and compB to file share with each other.

*Both firewalls are completly down
    *Computers shared with each other perfectly when on the same router. (no settings have been changed)

Any ideas/help... Thank You :)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Why two routers ....you'd have to use remote desktop with two routers, since it would be the same as being in two physically different locations ...compA to routerA to internet to ISP to routerB to compB ....:confused:

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

You have stumbled upon the limitations of NETBUI and NETBIOS, which are the name resolution protocols for small networks, namely that they are not routable. They are only effective within the same subnet and not across subnets.

All is not totally lost however, simply use the LMHOSTS file within the OS. You have to make entries in the LMHOSTS file on each machine containing listing all of the systems and their IP addresses. At this point in time using STATIC IP addresses would probably be best because if the IP address handed out by DHCP changes you wont be able to "see" your machines again.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. ejsilver26

ejsilver26 Private E-2

I have the same issue with my computers. My set up is as follows:

Cable modem
    |
    Router 1 (wired) --- Desktop 1 Desktop 2
    |
    Router 2 (wireless) --- Laptop 1 Laptop 2

Whenever I want to get anything off the Desktops, I have to wire a laptop directly to Router 1. I *could* always turn off the NAT on the wireless router, and have Router 1 assign all the IPs, but that's too much work (and I'm lazy). It's a pain, but it works.

If you want to share a file here and a file there, you could always set up multiple MSN acounts and send it to yourself... but why bother. USB keys are pretty cheap these days (so are external HDD, which are great for backup as well).

I'm still looking for something for you (and I), and I will let you know and reply to the post.

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Let me repeat......use LMHOSTS file and HOSTS file on each machine.

<ip address of desktop1> <desktop1 name>
    <ip address of desktop2> <desktop2 name>
    <ip address of laptop1> <laptop1 name>
    <ip address of laptop2> <laptop2 name>

7. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I've run into similar problems, in that the DSL modem that was also a router, and I wanted a wireless setup, which meant a wireless router. Wound up sticking an older DSL modem back on the wall to get it to work, so I'll be following this thread with interest.

While I understand what a ISP address is, a lot of this is over my head. Didn't stop me from wiring my house, but still learning (and screwing up).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds