Someone stealing my wireless bandwith

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaruler, Oct 19, 2009.

1. jaruler

jaruler Private First Class

Hey gents

I hope someone can help out a Noob

While i know a bit about computers a kno wnext to nothing about networks and internet connections or jargon.

I am damm sure next door is pinching out bandwith but how do i check?

theres been some psosts here before but there old and there talking about something i have no knoiwledge on.

we have virgin broadband wireless and myself have a direct cable to it while my house mates use the wireless bos for there laptops. (I have a PC)

now we first complained to virgin why are we only getting 1 mb bandwith when i did speedtest. we shut it all down and rebotted it all an dfound we then had 10mb but today again were at 1mb or 5mb and it fluctuates. this is through a direct setup to my machine and no one in house logged on. each i unplug modem and put it back on again we get 6mb + but after a while it goes down to 1- 2.5mb so this is why i am sure someoen else is using our bandwith.

how can i really now for sure? a program would be useful to download and search but an easy one to work if possible. i just got pocket trap and have not a clue what do with it even after 2 hours. so that was usless.

if there is something i can do with my own machine to set up something that would be great?

Apologies for being a noob on this but i can really do with someones help. I tried reading up but its just not getting through to me when everything assums you know what there talking about already, which is annoying.

the wireles router is a wireless g router from belkin attached to the virgin media modem.

thanks in advance

Craig

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

You should setup encryption key.

3. jaruler

Ok please remember i am a noob,

please elaborate

4. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

If this is like normal high speed internet, wether via cable, DSL, or satellite, it is usually a "shared" service, meaning one supply line/link to supply several households with the service. My first thought would be that there are several other households with that same service, and when they log on, it will pull your bandwidth down.

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

First, what is the model and version of your wireless router?
    At the Netgear support site, there should be tutorials for accessing and setting up security for your specific router that we can point out to you.

In setting up wireless security, you would need to check all the computers that connect to the router and find the one with the oldest adapter. If the oldest only supports WEP encryption, that is the strongest you can set up for all to use. If the computers are less than 2 or 3 years old, than they should support WPA2 encryption which is pretty safe from casual intruders.

The main thing is to get away from the default settings of the router. Once you do this, casual users will be unable to connect to your router. Here is a good article on basic wireless security measures - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

6. jaruler

I will look at the link.

now i have beem experementing with CMD ipconfig as i am lead to believe this can show me which ips are on the router? This way i can find out if more machines are using the router than normal.

I know all about bandwith and peak times so thats is no starter and thank you. its not that as i have good speed but then after 10 min switching the router on we are down to 1 mb but if have it direct to my pc through cable then i get 10mb or under so its teh wireless router or someone steeling bandwith

any help on finding how to access the router for ips would be helpfull.

thanks

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

What is the model number and version of your wireless router?

Accessing the router would probably be either typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in a browser address bar. Then log in with the user name and password - HERE is a list of default Netgear user names and passwords for routers.
    After that gets you into the configuration pages, look for DHCP settings under basic set up and you will find a range of IP addresses that are the default addresses that are available to be used by the router.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Jaruler, we need to know the brand and model number of the wireless router. In your router, you can see who all it logged on, and it is pretty easy to do basic wireless security setup.

9. jaruler

it is a belkin wireless g plus router

how do i see those using the wireless router/logged in?

and typing in the ip given just brings up lots of websites about it and what it does,. nothing to actually allow me to go into my router by putting ip addresss in the browser

thanks

10. jaruler

in the belkin webpage now and logged inn to the router

thanks

but now where do i go to find those loggin in on router

11. jaruler

Ok

i have set up WPA2 and put passwords on everything and everyone is logged on with 9mb connection so for now for 30 min at peak time.

so i am a happy bunny. lets see if it lasts.

thank you very much gents

the reson i could not access the router before i found out is because you hav eto put http first then teh ip with a 2 second from last digit rayther then the one i was given before

again thanks to everyone for posting

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds