Printer error: "Keep printed documents"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmokyShadow, Feb 19, 2007.

1. SmokyShadow

SmokyShadow Private E-2

My printer is a brother 420cn

It prints Word & Adobe documents without any trouble, but when I try to print from online I get the error "Your document is set to Keep Printed Documents."

I went to my printer, properties, Advanced and then unselected that box. Clicked "Apply" and "Ok."

Even if I try to print immediately after unmarking the box, it gives me the same message and sure enough the box is marked again!

Please help. I've been having to wait to print off some things at the library 20miles away!

Thanks!

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sometimes, for a changed setting to take effect, you need to shut down, and restart the computer for it to take effect.
    Like when you get some new programs, as they need to write to the registry.
    Untick the box, again, click apply, again, shut down and restart.

3. SmokyShadow

SmokyShadow Private E-2

I was hoping it would be that simple but it didn't work.
    Thank you, though.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you tried to print to file, then go to the file and try to print the file through your printer.
    If you look at the printer box that comes up when you go to print, the option to print to file is usually there, and so is your printer.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have to ask- are you logging on as administrator ?
    To change some settings, it may be that you will have to log off, and then log on as administrator to enable the change.
    Otherwise, you can try retarting, and prees f8 to bring up the safe mode window, and then start in safe mode, - this way it might not overwrite you changes, on restart.
    You have not said, but I assume you are running Windows 2000/2003/Xp.
    I HAVE PROVIDED THESE LINKS FOR YOU, IF YOU WISH TO SEE ANYTHING AT THE PRINTER SITE.
    Support
    http://global.solutions.brother.com/mfc420cn_us/en_us/download/
    Drivers - Depending on the version you have installed:
    http://global.solutions.brother.com/mfc420cn_us/en_us/download/drivers.html
    Pdf Manual
    http://global.solutions.brother.com/mfc420cn_us/en_us/download/u_guide.html

6. scubastog

scubastog Private E-2

I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!! YEA

Ok, above where it says "keep printed documents" your spool print documents is probably checked... uncheck that and check print directly to printer. This keeps the "keep printed documents" unchecked!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds