Wireless network dropping me all the time - Presario v6000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tseo, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tseo

tseo Private E-2

I just bought this Presario refurbished. It came with XP Media Center and a lot of stupid applications with it.
    I am working at several places through the week and everywhere there is some kind of wireless network. There is one place that I visit more then the others where the network keeps dropping me - sometimes entirely, sometimes I'm just losing my IP.
    Everywhere else (other places, home) everything works but here it keeps dropping me. When I come here with my old laptop Gateway it works fine under XP and Ubuntu.
    I can't run Ubuntu on the Presario for now so I can't see if it works there.
    I don't know what is my network adapter and that bothers me. I only know it is Broadcom.
    The difference here is that the network is on different channels because there are multiple routers or something across the building.
    I used Wireless Zero and Boingo and it's the same.
    I don't even know what is the adapter so I can update the drivers
    Please help

2. janitor

janitor Private E-2

hmmm network adapter is a device that is used for network communication.NIC (network interface card) is the physical (hardware) that is usually connected to your computer and has a small port in it that is capable of a cat5 cable.sines your using a laptop, the NIC you have is a wireless one (i think).try go to my computer, right click on it and go to properties.a menu will come up.go to hardware tab and then find device manager. under device manager you will see dropped dpwns or lie collapse icon, try to go to netwrok adapters and you will see what type you are using.also you can uninstall it there by just right clicking on it but beware you should have a backup device driver for it.actually XP supports a NIC/wireless NIC but im not sure about what kind you have.just be sure when you uninstall it , you have the back up device driver CD or driver for it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds