New Realtek Driver Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nufan1987, Jan 18, 2008.

1. nufan1987

nufan1987 Private E-2

Ok i was told to start this in a new thread... i have been posting in another one and that couldnt help me

ok story is my driver wasnt installing i did everything from enable, disable remove devices uninstall realtek and change registry. and nothing would work

when restoring my last known point, i noticed that it has done restore points for me before uninstalling items.

And lucky for me there was one before i uninstalled realtek, so now i have the program installed BUTTTT NO SOUND IS COMING OUT.

usually when i plug the speakers into the back it asks what im plugging in, but now nothing... it wont pic up anything.

i tried updating the driver but it says 'drivers co-installer is invallid'?

help me please... is it a ****ed soundcarD?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You mentioned in your other posts that your PC had been in the shop for a new PSU. Start off by opening your PC and check your sound card. It will be at the back and is the one your speakers plug into. Pull it out and then re-seat it. (Unplug PC, open the case, and touch the metal frame of the PC BEFORE touching the card)
    If that doesn't fix your sound:
    Check these things, then upload the report from Everest as an attachment and tell me what you see (or upload a screen shot of what is) in your Sound, video and game controllers section of your Device Manager.

Check: Are you getting error messages? What is the message?
    Check: Master Volume control.
    Check: Windows Audio Service is started.
    Check: Device Manager for bad drivers.
    Check: Your audio mixer software (if installed) for a setting that mutes back panel audio if you have plugged headphones into a front panel audio solution. Uncheck: this setting to allow audio to both the back and front.
    Check: BIOS to insure on-board sound is enabled.
    Install: the correct Chipset and Audio drivers.

First step: Is the volume on?
    Double click the audio icon in the task bar to get to the Master Volume controller and check ALL settings.
    Second step: Is the Windows Audio service running?
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find Windows Audio
    Open up Windows Audio by double clicking
    Make sure it is running, if not, click on Start.
    If the first 2 steps didn't fix the problem.
    Third step: Check to see if your Sound Device drivers are OK. Use Device Manager:
    To open Device Manager: Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.
    In Device Manager, if there is a ? in front of your audio device, that means no audio driver is installed.
    A ! means driver installation attempted but with problems.
    Fourth step: BIOS:
    As the PC starts, pressone of these keys (here is a list by manufacturer) http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    Or the right key will be posted on the very first screen. Tap it until you enter set-up, then look for your audio (it should be in Advanced) Make sure that it is on
    Fifth step: System Information
    If you have a retail PC, post the manufacturer name and model #
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    Click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware-related Pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

Chipset
    Is the motherboard drivers installed/updated? This can also cause a problem with audio and other devices.
    The chipset of motherboard drivers are needed to allow the OS to correctly ID the onboard hardware. This then allows the right driver to install ok. The chipset drivers will allow Ethernet, USB, and Audio to be installed correctly. (Thanks Halo)

3. nufan1987

nufan1987 Private E-2

OHHHHK i might look like a total idiot here... but

I rang up the person who built the computer to ask her, she told me to check drivers and what not and then mentioned.. it should be using AC'97 not Realtek HD Audio.

She asked which like what was happening, i said when i plug the cables in it asks what line im putting in, green, orange and black..

she then said ohh you should only put in green... coz it is only a onboard soundcard...

now could this cause the motherboard sound to blow by plugging in these extra cables?

or could a faulty power supply i had a few weeks ago do this

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you mean the other two jacks next to the Audio out, they are the Microphone and Audio in. That is only what should be plugged into them. It is possible to have blown the chip but hard to say with the info you gave.
    If your PC is working, except for sound, it is probably just a driver.
    This is the Realtek driver for XP: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_AC97_Drivers_d4400.html

5. nlaskey

nlaskey Private E-2

Sorry for not introducing myself but I'm in a bit of a rush here, but I think I can help.

Just had this problem myself, it looks like XP doesn’t like you to install the Realtek drivers over the XP inbuilt drivers.

So you first have to disable and remove the XP drivers.

Go to…. settings> control panel>system>hardware>device manager>system devices, find the item there with UAA in the title and disable it.

Then install the Realtek drivers, then go back and delete the UAA drivers (it won’t allow you to do this until you have installed the Realtek drivers) and do a re start and I think you’ll find you have sound.

6. Frank Oz

Frank Oz Private E-2

:-D

Thanks much for the advice - my system is now working after following the advice included in the last message posted

Regards from Australia

Frank

7. nlaskey

nlaskey Private E-2

Pleased to be of help Frank,

I hope your winter is better than our summer mate, its currently a monsoon outside :cry

8. red pirate

red pirate Private E-2

Okay people, I have joined just now as a result of trying and failing for hours to help my wife get sound on her new PC.

However... the two fellas below have really, really saved us frm a lot of stress. As non-techies who love playing games; surfing the net etc, it can be desperately frustrating when something's wrong and you can't work out what it is. It's 02:19 a.m. now and we have work in five hours, but after spending five hours trying to work it out, these two guys have made it work for us!

It was a combo of nlaskey's advice followed by enabling the BIOS as musksnipe said.

Guys you can't know how much we appreciate that. To think it was a desperate google search that brought it up. Sorry for resurrecting an old post people, but I HAD to say THANK YOU Nlaskey & Musksnipe!:dood YOU GUYS ARE TOTALLY COOL!

Red Pirate

nlaskey wrote:
    Sorry for not introducing myself but I'm in a bit of a rush here, but I think I can help.

Just had this problem myself, it looks like XP doesn’t like you to install the Realtek drivers over the XP inbuilt drivers.

So you first have to disable and remove the XP drivers.

Go to…. settings> control panel>system>hardware>device manager>system devices, find the item there with UAA in the title and disable it.

Then install the Realtek drivers, then go back and delete the UAA drivers (it won’t allow you to do this until you have installed the Realtek drivers) and do a re start and I think you’ll find you have sound.

9. nlaskey

nlaskey Private E-2

Once again I'm pleased I have been able to help, it was only by messing around myself I found the fix for it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds