Can connect locally, but not to the internet. HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jschlach, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Jschlach

Jschlach Private E-2

I bought a new HP HDX laptop. Sometimes the wireless internet works(through a linksys router) and other times, it connects to the router, but only locally and will not connect to the internet, when other computers are on the same network and are connected to the internet. I will be connected to the internet for a long period of time and get disconnected. Sometimes, restarting the computer will help me reconnect, and other times not. I am fairly sure it is not a router/ISP problem, as this happens to me both at home, at work, and at my girlfriends. Any idea what the problem might be or how to help?

Thanks so much,
    Jason

2. Coyotesmith

Coyotesmith Private E-2

Can you tell me more about the adapters in the HP machine (make model)? Have you tried running straight rj45 to the router to get online? What platform are you using (xp, vista, etc) to connect to your linksys, and what model of linksys is it?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  3. Ar2rStiles

Ar2rStiles Private E-2

I posted a similar thread with same issue but never got a response :( [see thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=169868]
    I have attached pics of what I'm getting. This is both hard wired and wireless with Windows Vista, though I'm able to access the internet fine hard wired with local only access. With wireless connection like Jschlach said its on and off, it works when it wants to in a nut shell. Appreciate any help

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds