Just reformatted-Only showing 1 HD instead of 2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UnKn0wn, Aug 12, 2010.

1. UnKn0wn

UnKn0wn Private E-2

Hello Everyone, I just reformatted my Dell with Win XP. Prior to reformatting I had two OS running XP on both HDs and Ubuntu on part of one of them. I reformatted the computer and am wondering why I can only see one of the HDs (the one I loaded XP onto). My plan was to use one of the HDs for XP and one for Ubuntu. In order to boot the computer I need both HDs hooked up. I have not tried to install the Linux OS yet.

The error message I am getting is: SATA primary drive 0 not found

I am thinking this is a either a Bios setup error I cannot find or I screwed up how I partitioned the drives while reinstalling XP. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dell Dimension 4600i
    Bios Version A07

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you made no changes to the BIOS, then it is unlikely a BIOS problem... however, get into BIOS (F2 on most Dell PCs) and make sure all hard drives are enabled and set to either "AUTO" or "ON". If this doesn't work, boot to Windows, right click "My Computer", select "Manage", select "Disk Management". Scroll through the drives in the lower right pane and see if the 'missing' drive is listed. If it is, note what it says about the drive (Unallocated, partition type(s), etc) and post that info here. Also, check the Device Manager (click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and press Enter, click the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button) and click the little plus sign next to "Disk Drives" and post what is listed there.....
    :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds