Exe's open in Notepad by default

Discussion in 'Software' started by laker_66, Jan 18, 2004.

1. laker_66

laker_66 Private E-2

most of the programs i try to open on my machine open with notepad . This happened after i accidently opened a file downloaded from internet with notepad . I wanted to do system restore back but when i go to system tools->system restore , that program also opens in notepad Garbage.

Also When i reboot the computer i get 19 programs opened in notepad on the desktop including-tptray, apoint, ceekey, ypager etc . i also tried to open command prompt by cmd and it also opens in notepad . i did check for virus and i didnt find any . not sure if i have a worm or have to change any settings in registery . Any thoughts appreciated .

2. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

What OS are you running?

3. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

You need to do this:
    Open explorer
    Click the tools tab
    click folder options
    Then click the file types tab
    Find the "exe" extension
    Delete it.

You didn't get a worm. When you opened that one program you must have had it set to always open with notepad. Easy to fix.
    I think.

4. rockwoodp

rockwoodp Private E-2

I tried your solution but the same thing happened again when clicking explorer, it goes back to the notepad thing.
    Any help ? Please
    Pablo

5. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Let me understand.

If you click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, Notepad opens?

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Try this:
    check your registry out -- hkey-classes, exefile, shell, open, command -- It should read: "%1" %*
    you need to edit this registry key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

and set the default value to (exactly) this not notepad.exe

"%1" %*

ADDED:- if you cant run any EXE's, then this is going to be a little difficult . You need to make a text .reg file luckily you can get to notepad lol, cause it opens when you run stuff. So open it paste this in it exactly as it is

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

save it as fixexe.reg to desktop double click it and answer yes hopefully this will repair what is wrong.

7. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Saw a complaint similar to this on another site - do we have a new nasty floating around out there in cyberspace????

8. rockwoodp

rockwoodp Private E-2

Thanks for the help. All is better now I was able to rectify the problem after hours of toiling with it late into the night

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

We are all anxious to know what you did to fix it.:)

10. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

What was the glitch, Rock?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds