Too many browser windows in IE!

Discussion in 'Software' started by perezoso, Feb 19, 2006.

1. perezoso

perezoso Private E-2

Please help!

Am suffering the major irritation of too many browser windows opening when I launch an Office document from within Internet Explorer.

I click the link for, say, a Word document - this opens in its native application BUT a blank IE window is also spawned.

Over the course of the day, tens of these extra windows congregate and clog up my system.

How can I prevent these additional windows from opening?

Thanks for any help

Ian

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Try going to the advanced tab of internet options under IE and click the "Reuse windows...." box.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

This happens with my online coursework through Kaplan University. Simple way is to close the window. Why keep them open when you do not need them?

4. perezoso

perezoso Private E-2

Thanks Yargwel, but the 'Reuse Windows' box has been ticked all along.

And Brownizs, I work in an environment where we have to access hundreds of online Office documents each day - you can't imagine how much time we lose with these extra clicks.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I worked in an environment where we had to do the same, and actually it takes no more to close a window that opens when the document opens after I am done with it, then it took to open the document.

What you just stated is classified as laziness, due to you would rather risk a system crash on your workstation by allowing multiple browser windows to sit in the background, then taking the time to close out of the window that you do not need.

Studies have been done, that in a 8hr workday, the most work that gets done is no more then 3-4 hours of actual product work.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Out of curiosity what version of office? Fully patched?

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I get the behaviour on Kaplan University's KUCampass portal, which irritates me, due to I would rather have Word 2k3 open the document in the browser window. Of course this behaviour happened with me before I installed IE7beta2.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Since IE7beta2 came out, and I installed the beta for ccleaner (before the official), I have wiped out my IE6 uninstallation files. I have since been trying to get IE6 backup and running. Though, it runs, but, IE6 won't open external links.....even if it is the default browser.

Also, I have been trying to create a simple website to allow me to download a file via FF for this purpose.

Quick question, does the same thing happen within FF? or opera, or another alternative browser?

Personally, I'm wondering, since IE, is tied windows....how IE starts a program based on the extension. I know, that it may resolve an issue (but cause more clicking), by right click on the link, SAVE-AS.....

Sorry, random thoughts....

9. Geek-A-Hertz

Geek-A-Hertz Private E-2

No offense dude but I don't think striving for efficency and doing something pro-active to reduce irritation could be classified as laziness. Their just asking if anyone has a solution.

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The only solution is by closing the window when it is not needed as explained. Simple fix. It has to do with how the website was designed if you are downloading the .doc from a website, not a inherent problem with Word.

I tried from Kaplan University KUCampus portal with Firefox, and got the same behaviour as IE, in that when you open a .doc, you get a new browser. So it is a problem with the design of the website. Before Kaplan updated their portal, you could open a .doc and it would open in the browser window that came up, not leave a blank window and open Word. Either that or it was an update that Microsoft snuck in under the radar in the past month.

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Doing some research, it is in the lines of Java, in that the webpage Java applet is opening the document in Word (wondering how safe this is now), but also opening a blank browser window.

That would hold true, due to the portlet window that opens for my Kaplan KUCampus portal uses Macromedia Flash, but the Session opens with Java and Flash components.

12. perezoso

perezoso Private E-2

So Brownizs, are you saying that it's the scripting on the website we're downloading these docs from that's at fault?

Im sceptical of this solution as not all of the people using this site are affected by this -some get the blank windows, some get the documents opening in a separate, native Word window (just as they're meant to).

Any ideas?

13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It can depend on how updated the system is, what Browser, Java, Microsoft Office. The beheviour I am getting is with Windows XP Pro SP2, fully updated, Microsoft Office 2k3, and the latest Sun Java.

So from my deductions, it is from the behaviour of the website, even though it may of been written to open the file in a browser window, with the viewer for that file as the helper.

It is really hard to know, without knowing how the webpage was written, and how the designer determined if the file is meant to open in Office, or in a browser window. I would rather have it open in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and so on, then open in a browser window.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds