Baaaad download

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ahfooy, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Ahfooy

Ahfooy Private E-2

Just downloaded Zmatrix from this site. AVG res. shield gave me this pop-up:

Virus warning: Hidden extention.exe
    is found in file
    C:\...\zmatrixsetupnt_1_5_2.zip.exe

I'm running windows XP home
    1.2ghz/256ram (compaq presario 5000)
    PCTEL Platinum V.90 modem

Wasn't sure who to tell about this.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Hm. Looks to me like the only problem is the fact that the file is named ".zip.exe". Not sure what caused this problem if any. Since Windows hides extensions for .exe files by default, it's a known problem that trojans can hide with this method to get you to double-click the virus. This is probably not a virus in this case, but I would still delete it and download it elsewhere.

Try getting the program from the source:
    http://zmatrix.sourceforge.net/

I didn't find Zmatrix on the site, though. Did you get it from the main site or from a link on the message boards?

3. Jabman

Jabman Private First Class

I just downloaded from all the available sites from AbbySue's link in her post and not one contained the file extensions .zip and .exe _together_ in one file.

Also, I scanned all three files with Trend Micro Internet Security, Bitdefender Pro 7.1.100, TDS-3 and WormGuard....all with the strictest settings and nothing was detected.

Regards,
    Jade :) .

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Be sure that your antivirus is up to date. A virus detected that is not there is called a false positive and the number 1 cause for a false positive is out of date virus definitions. That file is virus free, though :)

5. Ahfooy

Ahfooy Private E-2

Wow, you guys (geeks?) are great. Thank you so much. :D

6. Ahfooy

Ahfooy Private E-2

The file location

AbbySue got it right. I've just updated AVG (thanks again). I'm bored with my background and looking for something dark and creepy. Any ideas?:)

7. Tater

Tater Tot

I can feel the love here.

8. Ahfooy

Ahfooy Private E-2

That was a very kind, and warm welcome. Thank you. :D

9. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Group hug!!! We have a few programs in our appearance section for changing your computers appearance. Hard to make a suggestion as everyones tastes are different. If you like the Matrix.... http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2127.html

10. Ahfooy

Ahfooy Private E-2

Thank you, sir! ;) I just hope I don't get that whole .zip.exe thing again...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds