changing some folders from hidden to show

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Nov 20, 2006.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

XPsp2. I notice that in docs/settings under my user name on local disc C...that my 'cookies' and 'recent docs' folders are hidden as protected system files. Can't change the hidden attribute as the hidden box is faded for unchecking etc. I don't think these two folders were originally protected and hidden. Can they be revised in safe mode to make them show, and if so will they show as unhidden in normal mode? What might have converted them to hidden system folders? No issues involved, but I'm real curious.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Try this:

1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Select 'Folder Options' from the 'Tools' menu
    3. On the 'Folder Options' dialog, select the 'View' tab
    4. Select the radio button next to 'Show Hidden Files And Folders'
    5. Scroll down and uncheck the box next to 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'
    6. Apply your settings.

You should now be able to see all files! However, these folders you speak of almost certainly were hidden to begin with.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What permissions do your user account have? You need admin rights to do that.

4. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks Mada....I tried that and can view folders as I wish by doing so. My question is tho...why do my cookies and rec docs folders appear as system folders, and not just regular folders...hidden or not? So, it's not likely I can 'release' them as system folders by trying to unhide them in safe mode? Or will they always remain system folders?

5. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

My regular user name also carries admin rights...I'm the sole user on my system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds