Help. Maybe dead; only boots into safe mode menu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minmn, Jan 5, 2007.

1. minmn

minmn Private E-2

Somebody please give me ideas.
    Yesterday it was fine, today I can't get into it. Hubby thinks it is a hard drive issue.

The Dell logo comes up and then the Win XP logo. Next, it changes to the screen/menu for Safe mode options. I tried to open it by all 5 options, but it only reboots and returns to the same screen.

Hubby tried to repair it from the original Win XP office installation disc and that didn't work. He used it to get a DOS prompt. But he doesn't know the DOS name for documents and settings, or program files. IF he did, he said he could copy and paste them to the 2nd hard drive that is in the machine. Anyone know the DOS names for docs and setting and program files??

I've got stuff on there that should have been backed up, but wasn't. :cry:
    Hubby can do certain things with the computer: reformat, etc. IF we had good directions, he can work on it. ANY IDEAS??

My friend took her computer to the Geek Squad and wasn't pleased with the results. If we have to take it somewhere, after trying things at home, who is skilled enough to retrieve those docs and programs??

Thanks, MRS. H.

Dell Dimension 4100,
    Intel Pentium 3
    Windows XP prof
    30 Gb hard drive plus a 2nd one in there
    Norton Internet security, Spybot & Ad Aware run weekly

2. minmn

minmn Private E-2

oops duplicated.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  3. minmn

minmn Private E-2

How to get my stuff off the HD

Clarification-
    Hubby used Win XP Professional disc to get a DOS prompt; used the DIR command, and got a list of directories. He can't locate the files, as DOS truncates the names. He knows the names in Windows, but doesn't recognize the truncated version in DOS. He's looking for documents and settings, and program files. He wants to copy and paste them to the 2nd hard drive that is in the machine.
    Anyone know the DOS names for docs and setting and program files??
    I NEED my files and pics. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds