Removed Vista games

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tater, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

Hi,

My girlfriend bought an Acer laptop and during my "clean out software trials and other pre-installed junk" I accidentaly removed/uninstalled the games that come with Vista. We do have some kind of set-up disc that came with it, could the games be copied over from that? I couldn't find a download for them on the Microsoft site. Is there any way to get those games back or am I out of luck?

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You could try and see if they can be re-installed ( possibly from the cab database ) Goto Control Panel > Programs > and under Programs and Features choose "Turn Windows Features on/off" wait for a few seconds for the list to populate then if Games is not ticked tick it and choose apply and the games should install, but in the event you removed these games a different way untick Games > OK then go back into that loaction and Tick Games and OK.. it should re-install them.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would expect that you would have to go to add and remove programs, and tick add Windows games , and insert you Vista CD , as you would other accessaries, similarly to XP.
    I have not tried it, but I cannot see that it would be any different.

Sorry Halo, crossed posts.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  4. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks guys,

I actually uninstalled them from add/remove programs in the control panel. I'll try out those ideas when I get home. Hopefully the games will be on the CD since it isn't actually a retail version, just the Vista recovery disc from Acer.

5. DavidGP

You will have then used the "Turn Windows Features on/off" feature and in that case going back in and ticking the Games option will reinstall them, you shouldnt need the Vista DVD as the installer files are generally placed in your C: drive, for quick reinstall or install of components not defaultly installed.

and to double check I uninstalled my Games from an ACER laptop and then Re-installed them without the need for the DVD.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Halo, Takes a geek to try it, with his own pc/laptop:D to confirm it ---
    I'm on my old Xp pro pc at the moment, so I couldn't try it.
    Of course I suppose if it didn't work, a system restore......:)

7. DavidGP

I had confidence it would work that way, as I have done it many times on the betas, senario testing, but just wanted to double check an OEM install and as I have an ACER laptop it volunteered itseslf. I tend not to offer advice I wouldnt try myself.

8. Tater

Tater Tot

Ding, ding, ding!! That did it thanks guys! I'm out of the doghouse. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds