Looking for the best Power Supply for my system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaptchaTechnical, Jun 26, 2011.

1. CaptchaTechnical

CaptchaTechnical Private E-2

Hello!

I'm looking to get a better power supply into this computer.

Currently I have a 460 Watt power supply and I've been told I need at least 600.

My basic system specs are below;

6GB RAM
    640 GB HD
    Nvidia 9800 GT 512 MB Graphics Card
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit

If I need to post more information I will.

Right now I don't know much of anything about power supplies so I will be getting this installed by a professional but I think I can handle the actual buying part with some advice. I'm looking at a spending cap of about 130$.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum:) Who told you this? We need to know what CPU you have also.

Your power supply is a little on the low side but you only have a 9800gt they only draw 100w max,if you combine that with a typical CPU 100w and memory ect your still only drawing about 250 watts max which your 460 watt PSU should handle fine.

Usually when building a new system we recommend a decent high wattage quality supply but your system is a few years old,if its been running fine without overheating then you should be O.K.During heavy usage just check feel the side of the power supply to see how warm it is,it should be slightly warm to the touch.

Nvidia recommends

9800GT = 400w with 26A (combined) on the +12V rails.

If this were a new system I'd say spend the extra and get the 600watt,$130 plus fitting is a lot of money for piece of mind.

Post your CPU model anyway:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Damn man, $130 buys one a lot of power supply. I agree with Rikky, just powering the 9800GT, the 460 is just fine. I had an Intel quad machine overclocked to 3GHz. with a pair of overcloclocked 9800GT's all on an Antec Earthwatts 500W running all at %100 load 24/7 for three years. You don't need a new PSU, you need a new machine.:p:-D(just joking) Do put that money in a 'new computer' bank account though.;)

If you really think your power supply is suspect then run OCCT which will beat your machine upside the head and back down. Beware though, if your PSU goes, it could take out the mobo.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  4. CaptchaTechnical

Thanks for the replies! :)

@Rikky

I was told about the 600 watt suggestion by someone on Yahoo Answers. Haha.

My CPU is the following;

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz

And yeah the system is from 2008, so it is a bit old. Not looking to buy a new one for awhile though.

@auggiedoggie

Yeah I was thinking about putting some money back into an Emergency Computer Buying fund.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's a nice machine man, same price as my Q6600 was with extra goodies. That's a keeper AFAIC.

BTW, why have it pro installed, why not do it yourself? I build all my systems and it's really not rocket science anymore like it was back in the mid-80's. Insert part A into slot B. You can't even install things the wrong way anymore as they're all keyed. Unless you use a jackhammer to install stuff.:-D

6. CaptchaTechnical

I guess I just didn't want to mess it up but yeah it is a lot easier now.

I may consider it. Especially considering they charge quite a bit to install it themselves.

7. Rikky

Reading between the lines do you a problem that has lead you to believe the PSU may be at fault?

8. CaptchaTechnical

This may seem silly but I felt like maybe it was the PSU because I seem to get shocked when I try to listen to music on the computer. I've tried several different types of headphones and I'll plug it into the audio port and it always seems to shock me a bit. Nothing major but it worries me a bit. I guess I was just kind of convinced the power supply was going out or something was wrong with it.

I have my computer plugged into a pretty good surge protector and it says it's grounded properly.

I felt the side of the computer near the vent and it seems pretty cool. Fan's running pretty loudly though and I'm not doing anything but posting a reply on here. Then again that may be normal, haha.

9. Rikky

:-D That's static it has nothing to do with your computers power circuits,the voltage from the headphones is low voltage low current DC,its very safe and can't shock you.

The body of your computer is earthed or grounded,as you walk over carpet and rub up against things like the sofa you pick up electrons and become what's known as 'charged'. When you plug in your headphones you touch your case and the charge built up in your clothes and body is discharged into the earth via your computer case,things like polyester clothes,carpet and furniture usually cause it.

Its nothing to worry about:cool

To prove this theory just before you plug your headphones in touch a bare metal part of the case such as a screw at the the back to discharge any static 'this may give you a little shock' then connect your headphones.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  10. CaptchaTechnical

Well I feel silly, haha.

Anyways I appreciate the help guys. :)

11. Rikky

Nah, silly people don't ask questions:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds