Blue Screen of death!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dybek, Oct 4, 2008.

1. dybek

dybek Private E-2

My friend has phoned me in blind panic.

Windows XP boots as far as the user select screen.

When a user (any user) is selected, the blue screen of death appears, quoting:

STOP:

c000021A (FATAL SYSTEM ERROR)

The Windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc00000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

The system has been shut down.

Safe mode produces a similar blue screen.

A Windows reinstall would be a very bad option. Is there any other solution?

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

One idea from a somewhat similar experience - how good is the RAM? If it's old, it may have failed. Can you try other RAM? Or remove alternate sticks, if there are more than one? Discharge static before going in though, and shut down.

3. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Another option here is to keep rebooting the computer to see if anything changes. I had this situation where one of the sticks of RAM was shot, but it would "warm up" over 20 minutes to half an hour, and then be fine. If this happens with you, then you would think it is the RAM.

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

This isn't a RAM problem. In my (in-)expert opinion, you have some serious issues with your Windows installation. This is what Microsoft has to say on the subject.

I admit that I am not very good with software, what little I do know is limited to gaming, but I do know RAM. Very well in fact, and this is not caused by failed memory modules. Don't waste your time on RAM trouble-shooting, as that BSoD message is trying to tell you the problem is not with your hardware. :)

5. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

7. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

OK, is that a slap on the wrist for me? It was just a suggestion, and it comes about because I was also getting the BSoD with similar error messages. Turned out to be RAM. Just a suggestion, that's all, and it's very easy to check.

And just so you know whom you're dealing with here, isn't that avitar of yours Modesty Blaise , Mimsy?? My knowing that tells you something about my age (as does the fact that I just used "whom"). I remember those comics well. 56 yesterday. You should treat me kindly, and wish me happy birthday.

8. Mimsy

That tells me nothing about you other than that you somehow think that knowing who Modesty is means you should be treated with respect. It also tells me that you are testy and easily takes offense, since it wasn't meant to be a slap on any part of you at all.

That out of the way, memory errors can give the most bizarre blue-screen codes, and can also lead to corrupted files which in turn may lead to this type of bluescreen. However, the difference is that the OP is getting the same blue-screen, with the exact same error at the exact same point in the start-up process and has been able to successfully replicate it. In other words, when he tries to log in to an account on his computer, something happens that causes a crashes which prompts a BSoD. Most likely something is wrong with a file that needs to be accessed in order to log in to any user account (or possibly with just that hard drive sector, but that's more unlikely).

Memory errors go all over the map and one of the most telling symptoms are inconsistent bluescreens pointing to anything and everything in your computer as the cause. Similar error messages is not the same as identical error messages, and one single instance is not the same as the norm.

9. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

I didn't say 'with respect' (not a bad idea though), just 'kindly'. And what about the 'happy birthday? ;)

10. Mimsy

What are you talking about? I am always kind! :innocent

Happy late birthday too. :)

11. okietechnician

okietechnician Private E-2

one thing you might try is boot from your windows disk and try to do a "fixboot" and then reboot. Maybe you can do a restore from a restore file useing "recovery console" the "R" selection but not sure if that is possible, may be. If all things fail you can toward the end maybe try do a "fixmbr" as a last resort. One other thought would be to maybe try first selecting F8 on start up and see if you can get to a screen that says something like: "last good know configuration or something like that. Just suggestion, i rerally enjoy these forums

12. Mimsy

So F8 is sadly not an option.

13. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

My mistake, Mimsy. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/images/smilies/redface.gif
    And thankyou for the belated (though perhaps not altogether unsolicited) felicitations. (I DO like that avatar.)

14. Mimsy

Well, of course. Modesty rocks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds