locked out of windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by momi, Aug 13, 2014.

1. momi

momi Private E-2

Help I lost internet explorer and to try to rectify this I downloaded reimage now after reboot cannot get into windows 7 constantly tells me invalid user and or password. I have no password reset disk.:

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

momi...

You must be upset about downloading programs about now. It's frustrating. I recommend with my whole heart downloading from Major Geeks in the future. If you require a program that isn't here, you can visit here and e-mail a request to have the program added:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/aboutcontact_us.html

If you must have the program immediately, you can ask on the software board if anyone knows about it. Chances are pretty good someone does, and there will likely be some recommendations for similar software that can be found at MGs. I hope this helps some.

As for your problem, I would take a look at this. If you know how to burn a CD, you can create a rescue disk with this:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ultimate_boot_cd_(ubcd).html

To learn more about this subject, I also recommend Googling "Rescue disk". I use a different one than USBC that is frowned on here at MGs as a result of some sort of disagreement about the use of programs on the disk. Nonetheless, a rescue disk is indispensable today.

If you decide to create a rescue disk, post a thread to ask any questions you may have about how to make the disk and about what you will be able to do, once you have the disk created. That should help alot.

3. momi

momi Private E-2

Thank you that was helpful and I tried burning a rescue disc from my laptop (both PC and laptop windows 7 64 bit) did manage to get into BIOS to change running order but it tells me that rescue disc is not compatible. I have really messed this up. The worst is I thought I was downloading from major geeks and stupidly paid $49.95 for the privilege. Any further suggestions would be helpful.
    thanks

momi

4. AtlBo

momi...

Sorry to hear about this. Could you go into more detail about what happened?

Were you looking for a rescue disk at MGs downloads when you downloaded the $49.95 program, or was the program listed by MGs as Shareware ($49.95)? Did you accidently click on a link to an ad at MGs and then pay for something? It would be helpful to know the name of the disk/program you were using.

UBCD is a 100% free program. Not sure what you had before, but UBCD is confirmed good for sure. If you can find a way to burn it to disk, I think you may be able to fix the PC.

There is always the option of a repair tech. Sounds like this may be your best option in the long run. If you were having difficulty getting into BIOS, that would I think be a good reason to see if you can get a PC repair guy involved...

5. momi

momi Private E-2

Originally I thought I was downloading a tweaking programme from Major Geeks. Obviously I got and add instead. The programme I eventually downloaded was called re-image. I have since managed to get into BIOS and change the order as suggested in google. The problem is I don't have a repair disc for the PC it came already loaded and I did not think to make one. (Have learned that lesson) Made a repair disc from laptop but when run on PC it gives the message not compatible.
    I assume I need another repair programme to get into system recovery.

momi

6. AtlBo

momi...

Not sure, but maybe your laptop is 64 bit and your other PC 32 bit or vice versa or maybe one is Win 7 Pro and the other Win 7 Home.

There isn't a solution here, but you may want to take a look at this thread where the user had a similar problem:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sh...re-All-Windows-7-System-Repair-Discs-the-Same

If it were me, I would download UBCD at the MGs link I posted a couple of times ago (careful not to click on an external link) to the laptop and then burn it to a CD. From there you can post and ask questions about which program on the CD you should use to get your PC back. However, if you can find out which version of Windows your malfuctioning PC has on it (should be in BIOS), then perhaps you can find someone with the same version to make a rescue disk for you who has that version of Windows.

Just for interest sake, I would like to know what version of Windows you are running on each of the PCs. I am curious as to why the rescue disk from the laptop didn't work. If you could, please check and post them here and be sure to include whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit for each.

If you have a retail installation disk for Windows, you could alternatively run a Windows 7 repair feature from that disk...again if you have one...

7. momi

momi Private E-2

Your are correct both laptops have windows 7 home premium and are 64 bit. The PC is 32 bit. I did download the UBCD and burn to disc and although it fixed several faults I still cannot get into system recovery.
    I have however found an installation disc of windows 7 home premium 32 bit. But am afraid to run it in case I lose all data on the PC. Husband keeps all income tax etc on this with no back up!!
    Think I might just have to bite the bullet and take it to the local repair shop.
    Many thanks from a stupid old lady who has now many more grey hairs!!!

momi.

8. AtlBo

momi...

OK...under the circumstances that sounds like a good idea.

While you are at it, why don't you see if you can find an extra hard drive for that PC that you can use as a backup drive. Most PC cases will allow for 2 or more drives inside the case, but, if yours will only hold the one, you can get an external caddy. You can ask your local tech about that when you visit him. Also, ask him what kind of drive (specifications) you should look for. A good price for a new hard drive is anywhere from $30 to $50, depending on storage capabilities of the drive and the features of the drive...

Oh...momi. Might be a good idea to take your UBCD to the tech and see if he has any tips he can show you on using it...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds