Won't wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimW, Aug 20, 2014.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Just started happening. Usually the mouse will wake it from sleep, but now it won't. Vista. And a hard restart often fails. I had to power up 6 times today to get it to start. No hard drive activity the first 5 times. Any ideas?

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

3. TimW

No, I don't have hybrid sleep. Sigh.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've had this happen a couple of times on my laptop running Vista Ultimate SP2 32-bit. When I opened the lid, nothing happened. I don't know what caused it but, pressing the power button woke it up and "Resuming Windows" came up. The laptop then worked normally (and has for a while).

5. TimW

When I click the mouse, then the hard drive spins up and resumes my desktop. But that isn't happening anymore. I have to power down and try to power up. Hard drive doesn]t spin up. Had to try it 6 times today. So, I changed power setting so that it never shuts down the hard drive. Guess I will have to live with that. At least a mouse click will resume my session.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Common symptoms of a failing hard drive. Check the drive manufacturer's website for a disk checking utility. This would be a good time to ensure you are well backed up datawise and to create or update a disk image.

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

In my case, it is the modular bay caddy. I was on the forums and my laptop suddenly shut off completely (Vista Ultimate on 120GB HDD in caddy). Afterward, the POST screen didn't even come up even after swapping drives out. The computer's fine just running off of "C" drve caddy.

8. TimW

I have a spare cloned drive. I guess if it dies, I'll put the clone in it.

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Data might be overwritten though, if your data files are on the OS drive.

10. TimW

It's in a USB enclosure. It's the same size and make as the failing one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds