error codes

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I have Win 8.1 and since the last updates I have an error code 0x80240016 on both the desktop and laptop.
    It disappeared from the desktop but on the laptop it is now the same as above but the last digit is 2 instead of 6.
    I think it occurs when defender is updated.
    How can I fix this?
    Thank you
    Peter

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Windows has pulled this due to blue screens, mostly in Windows 8+

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/stor...ent_patch_tuesday_updates_be_uninstalled.html

Odds are this will be fixed Tuesday and the removal instructions are not easy, sadly. If you can hold out and maybe use safe mode until Tuesday, that might be a simple solution. It's a guess as I don't have 8.

Tap f8 while rebooting and choose safe mode with networking.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello MA and thank you for the explanation.
    I ran the troubleshooter and it fixed two items by adding suffixes one being a 'D' and the other another letter. Both lap and desk are updating Defender now but before it began working, it was red, saying real time protection was off, which it was not.
    I am only reporting what happened so others can get some information too.

I do not know what that means or if the Defender issue is resolved but will play it safe until Tuesday as you suggest and see if they allow the fix.
    Thanks again
    Peter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds