Running OS X on an AMD 64

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hey guys, I just read about this :)

It obviously is possible, but repeated searching on Google pulls up this same guide over and over, with little to no updates since it was made in August-September of 2005. Does anyone have an updated guide handy? You can see my signature for my specs... My 3000+ Venice is a DH-E3 revision with SSE3 support, so I think I should be good.

I'm reading that you need another separate HDD... Partitions won't do. But is all the Linux stuff necessary? I want to do this because my girlfriend does a lot of video editing on an Apple at school, and it'd be really convenient to be able to run both OS's on the same machine. This is the guide I've been finding: <snip>

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Cody

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2006
  2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Okay, I was thinking that I could buy OS X Tiger through my university discount and somehow run it on my x86, but apparently the only way to run OS X on a PC is to modify some source code and download a torrent... Even if it were legal, it seems like a big damned headache.

It was worth a shot, I guess. Live and learn.

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

The hardware used in a windows pc I'm not entirely sure is compatible with the Mac O/S.

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Since the Intel chips started being used in MAC, they had to make OSX x86 compatible. Since thats been done, it IS possible to run OSX on an AMD chip as well, though as askantik realized, it takes lots of tweaking and patience.

Also note that only OSX is only running at 32 bit on the Intel chips. I am very skeptical that an end user would be able to achieve any 64 bit capability without major modification from Apple.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thing is, its not legal, and we cannot discuss it here. Doesn't matter if you own the license for OS X.

Thanks.

Just a note. The only 64 bit applications OS X can run are command line, so who cares anyway ;)

6. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

Now, I am no genius and I'll be the first to admit that fact. However, that having been said let me state the following in hopes that it is of some small help to at least a few people.

Years ago when the earth was young (in the 90's) I did tech support for two different communitactions company's so - I have some limmited and admittedly outdated experience in this very realm as they used both PC's and MAC's.

Firstly, Windows is a generic OS. Meaning that it is built to load on many different PC clones manufacturer's such as IBM, HP, Hypersonic, ABS, Dell, Gateway, Etc... and it loads slightly different any different PC manufactured by a different company - such as the example given above.

Apple's OS is custom designed for it's own harware. One is built for the other which ever way you preffer to see it.

Thus, Running Apple's OS on AMD or Intel chips is to limit greaty the effeciency of OS X. This would be an exhausting forray into compatability although perhaps - an interesting experiment for a tech. But, now you are putting OS X into the same boat as the Windows OS - that is to day it will now likely load slightly different with each different model of PC that you install Mac OS X.

In short.. it is clearly better to run OS X on a MAC of some kind and Windows on an AMD or Intel.

Personally, I am switching to MAC this summer. I will still keep a PC around for somethings however, I often look at PC's and MAC's like the difference between and Aston Martin sports car and a Ford Mustang. Other than getting from point "A" to point "B" (general uses) - there is little to compare. If you are a gammer or an accountant- your stuck with PC's (for now). If not - than I'd recommend a MAC. At least this is my personal findings to date as far as dependability and quality is concerned. I do realize there are different schools of thought on this however.

I also realize that, you can now use Bootcamp to "Dual-boot" on a Mac which will work for many people who will still require a few programs to run in Windows. This option is FAR better than running Virtual PC or running ANY Mac OS on a PC clone - no matter how perky your system is.

Again, much of my information at this point is a bit dated compared to many however, I do read a bit and use my equipment daily.

I hope this is helpful to some. No offense intended to diehard PC users.

-- All Good Medicine--

7. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

Now, I am no genius and I'll be the first to admit that fact. However, that having been said let me state the following in hopes that it is of some small help to at least a few people.

Years ago when the earth was young (in the 90's) I did tech support for two different communitactions company's so - I have some limmited and admittedly outdated experience in this very realm as they used both PC's and MAC's.

Firstly, Windows is a generic OS. Meaning that it is built to load on many different PC clones, manufacturer's such as IBM, HP, Hypersonic, ABS, Dell, Gateway, Etc... and it loads slightly different on any PC manufactured by a different company - such as the example given above.

Apple's OS is custom designed for it's own harware. One is built for the other which ever way you preffer to see it.

Thus, Running Apple's OS on AMD or Intel chips is to limit greaty the effeciency of OS X. This would be an exhausting forray into compatability although perhaps - an interesting experiment for a hardware tech or programmer. But, now you are putting OS X into the same boat as the Windows OS - that is to day it will now likely load slightly different with each different model of PC that you install Mac OS X.

In short.. it is clearly better to run OS X on a MAC of some kind and Windows on an AMD or Intel.

Personally, I am switching to MAC this summer. I will still keep a PC around for somethings however, I often look at PC's and MAC's like the difference between and Aston Martin sports car and a Ford Mustang. Other than getting from point "A" to point "B" (general uses) - there is little to compare. If you are a gammer or an accountant- your stuck with PC's (for now). If not - than I'd recommend a MAC. At least this is my personal findings to date as far as dependability and quality is concerned. I do realize there are different schools of thought on this however.

I also realize that, you can now use Bootcamp to "Dual-boot" on a Mac which will work for many people who will still require a few programs to run in Windows. This option is FAR better than running Virtual PC or running ANY Mac OS on a PC clone - no matter how perky your system is.

Again, much of my information at this point is a bit dated compared to many however, I do read a bit and use my equipment daily.

I hope this is helpful to some. No offense intended to diehard PC users.

-- All Good Medicine--

8. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Yeah, like Adrynalyne said... It's illegal.

I don't see the point. It seems like a nice OS. There are two reasons I'll never buy a Mac:

1. I can't build my own-- I know the business reasons, so don't bother assaulting me and telling me that I'm retarded and asking me why I can't see it from Apple's standpoint because I can. But if there was a regular x86 verson, I'd actually buy it. Now instead of getting ~$100 for the OS from me, Apple will get nothing, because I'll never buy their hardware. I guess it's because so few users build computers that they figure people would pirate the OS if it could be used on non-propietary hardware. The fact remains that I enjoy building my own computer...

2. Limited game support.

I have a friend who has some super awesome Apple computer. It's neat-- really is. Trouble is, even if you DO have a "Mac edition" video card to support them, the games come out ages later. For instance, Doom 3 for Windows launched August 3, 2004 for Windows. Mac edition wasn't out until March of 2005-- 2/3 of a year later!!! That, to me, is ridiculous. Even the Linux edition was out only a month later than the Windows version.

I like iMovie. And GarageBand. But it's just too big of a sacrifice for me. I guess I either have to wait for M$ to not suck butt or for someone else to put out a decent OS.

Why can't they just sell OEM CPUs/motherboards, etc. and then I can build my own? I guess it'd still cost an effin' fortune ;) Oh well. This isn't meant to start any arguments. I really do want to use OS X and don't mind paying for it.. Maybe they'll offer it in the future. I'm thinking about trying Linux. I was disappointed that Windows X64 seems to suck a big one with driver support. :(

9. MaGGoT_corps7

MaGGoT_corps7 Private E-2

like swag said if your a gamer stick with PC
    but for stuff like video editing or sound engineering you are better off buying a mac the OS isnt the only thing that makes mac's run smoothly its also the hardware you will notice that most of the hardware in macs is a little less higher spec'd than a PC for instance a mac G5 is currently running at 2.somthing GHZ as aposed to PC's wich are now running at 4800+ ( thanx to AMD ) now macs dual core chips and there dual x2 core chips still sh*t all over a 4800+
    dual core and they still only run at sumthing like 2.5 ghz each core ( the macs )

ok ive strayed off the topic a bit and im not the most knowledgable when it comes to hardware and such but i do know a little something about macs and there performance even though hardly ever having used a mac ( i read too many sound engineering magz lol ) if i had 5 grand i would buy a mac and leave this piece of crap just for games and doing things i would normaly do that i cant do on a mac now having said that ill get to the original point of this thread

i read some where that even though macs are now running X86 chips that even still you WILL NOT be able to run OS X on a PC because of as stated above its written to conincide with mac hardware now this is only what ive read ive never even thought it was possible to run a mac os on a pc any way but like you said even if it is possible you would just be better off running windows i reckon it would be faster any way and would save thoes head aches your getting i still dont trust running windows on a X86 mac let alone macs running X86 chips i reckon now that people will be jumping on the virus band wagon and spreading it to macs now ( another reason i love macs is the lack of viruses and other crap :) ) i am assuming that the only reason why most people never bothered writing viruses for macs ( besides thoes mac freaks ) is beacuase the processors run diffrently and all that jazz soo im assuming now that there running X86 chips its going to be alot easyer for them to write and exploit it out there ass any way thats just my 2 cents

as mentioned above the stuff about OS X is just what ive read there were some more important points in that that i wanted to point out but i cant remember them from the top of my head soo please peopel dont jump down my throat ok

and i hope this has helped your decision to stay with windows or just buy a mac simple i would LOVE to be sitting here typing all this out on a mac but unfortunetly funds are short soo :( any way stick with windows or just buy a mac

10. askantik

askantik Sergeant

For the record, it IS possible. I've already established that with modifying "some source code" (my second post) it can be done. Perhaps I should've said modifying source code extensively. But it can be done, although not legally. I just want to make clear that it is physically possible.

It's apparently a lot of trouble and, in my opinion, not worth the trouble nor the risk of getting sued :). But no one else has to bother saying that they think OS X will only run on Macs. I'm pretty sure I didn't just dream up the idea that they could run on a regular PC. People have done it already. Sorry to rant. I just wanted to clear that up.

But no more discussion for me-- it's not possible and I don't want to damage my far-fetched aspirations any more. Thanks and good night ;)

11. askantik

askantik Sergeant

What is your username from? I like the icon by the way, ATHF is great. :D

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just to go on record, the G5 does not trounce a 4800+.

The G5 was the downfall of the PPC architecture. Too many performance problems. There were even some cases where a G4 outran it. The days of Macs being faster than PCs in just about anything is long gone.

Now I believe the quad core G5 is probably faster than the 4800+, but thats a little different.

The Intel Core Duo CPUs being used now are even kicking the crap out of G5s, save when the application requires Rosetta.

13. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

Of course, I am not interested in getting into a MAC OS X vs. PC debate...

That having been said.... Which you prefer all depends on what you want to do with your computer.

Personally, I prefer the MAC... and PC's DO NOT KICK ASS on MAC's or VISA V. It is really about what you want out of a computer just like what you want out of a automobile. If you 4 x 4 then you want a big heavy-duty truck... if you want to ride fast through mountain passes than you probably want a Porsche. The same is true with the computer revolution (which at this point is probably more of an established country than a revolution), none the less... it is about preference - and there is NO wrong or right when it comes to preference. It's kind of like me telling all of you emphatically that, coffee with cream and sugar is superior.... how can that be???

Point made I hope....

-- All Good Medicine--

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its still illegal, LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds